Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Low-Cost PINE 64+ ARM Single Board Computer

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Low-Cost PINE 64+ ARM Single Board Computer

As an alternative to the Raspberry Pi 3 for a low-cost 64-bit ARM (AArch64) development board is the PINE 64, which was successfully Kickstarted as a "$15 64-bit single board super computer" that generated more than 1.7 million dollars. The PINE 64 is still shipping out in limited quantities for now, but the folks behind this project were kind enough to send over a sample of their PINE 64 1GB SBC for some benchmarking.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so this is slower than rpi3 and has no 3d video driver
    it's not even cheaper since they disguised price in 'shipping and handling' which costs zero dollars rounded down worldwide from china
    the only benefit is standard boot method
    i guess not every sbc usage needs video

Comment

Why can't we have a low-cost ARM board with an AMD GPU...

Comment

I wish Pine64+ againts Odroid C2 (not C1) and RPI3 (Done)
        Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          so this is slower than rpi3 and has no 3d video driver
          it's not even cheaper since they disguised price in 'shipping and handling' which costs zero dollars rounded down worldwide from china
          the only benefit is standard boot method
          i guess not every sbc usage needs video
          the rpi3 has the ethernet and usb2 ports sharing the same bus, this doesn't. This has DDR3 memory, supports 4k video out and the more expensive model supports gigabit and 2GB ram. There are certainly some nice advantages but the closed source gpu drivers are indeed disappointing. I think that PowerVR guys are supposed to be working on a linux driver, possibly open source, who knows how long that will take though.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            Why can't we have a low-cost ARM board with an AMD GPU...
            Probably little profit to be made, even if amd sold 1 million units and made $25 profit that is only $25 revenue, it would cost a lot to design a mobile gpu and a SoC for it.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
              the rpi has the ethernet and usb2 ports sharing the same bus, this doesn't.
              who cares?
              This has DDR3 memory
              what is the point if it is slower in the end?
              , supports 4k video out
              it does not support video at all for my definition of 'supports'
              and the more expensive model supports gigabit and 2GB ram.
              and rpi3 has wifi and bluetooth builtin
              I think that PowerVR guys are supposed to be working on a linux driver, possibly open source, who knows how long that will take though.
              pine64 uses alwinner which uses arm's mali

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                who cares?

what is the point if it is slower in the end?
                it does not support video at all for my definition of 'supports'
                and rpi3 has wifi and bluetooth builtin

pine64 uses alwinner which uses arm's mali
                Quite a number of people care about usb and ethernet sharing the same bus as it means you can't get full speed usb if you are using ethernet and your ethernet may slow down too. It is slower in most of these benchmarks but it would be faster in some more memory intensive benchmarks. I wasn't suggesting that powervr was in this, just that if you want an cheap arm board then waiting for one with powervr once linux drivers are out is your best option as rpi3 has an ancient gpu which doesn't support h265 hardware decoding, 4k, hdmi 2.0, opencl etc. I think a long time ago nvidia said that they would licence their mobile gpu but either they changed their mind or companies aren't willing to pay for it. Tegra drivers are fairly open source so that is a possible option for arm boards.
                Last edited by hajj_3; 26 March 2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Quite a number of people care about usb and ethernet sharing the same bus as it means you can't get full speed usb if you are using ethernet and your ethernet may slow down too.
                  maybe i never thought about turning it into nas with usb harddrive. ok, all those 1.5 people could buy pine64
                  if you want an cheap arm board then waiting for one with powervr once linux drivers are out is your best option as rpi3 has an ancient gpu which doesn't support h265 hardware decoding, 4k, hdmi 2.0, opencl etc. I think a long time ago nvidia said that they would licence their mobile gpu but either they changed their mind or companies aren't willing to pay for it. Tegra drivers are fairly open source so that is a possible option for arm boards.
                  if you need modern gpu, best choice is adreno https://people.freedesktop.org/~imir...o/glxinfo.html

Comment

Michael, some of these low-cost, single board PCs could be great options for those who want a DIY router. Please consider comparing their Ethernet throughput in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X