Some Early Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Vulkan Tests With NVIDIA Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Early Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Vulkan Tests With NVIDIA Graphics

Phoronix: Some Early Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Vulkan Tests With NVIDIA Graphics

While waiting to test Ubuntu Bash on Windows, I decided to run some (manual) tests of Vulkan on Windows compared to some recent Ubuntu Linux figures with different NVIDIA graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did not expect to see that kind of gap. I had assumed that it would be roughly equal, maybe giving a minor edge to Windows because, well, games are always a Windows-first thing.

While it's an early test, this could be exactly the sort of thing Steam Machines needed if Valve can reliably showcase these results; of course, good for Linux in general too.

Comment

This are articles which i really like, if you want to push a bar, do it on some Mac. Mac OS, Windows and Linux comparison would be great.

Otherwise great win for Linux.

Comment

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to purposely gimp Vulkan performance on Windows to make DX12 more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
          This are articles which i really like, if you want to push a bar, do it on some Mac. Mac OS, Windows and Linux comparison would be great.

Otherwise great win for Linux.
          There's no Vulkan on OSX

Comment

Originally posted by Up123 View Post

There's no Vulkan on OSX
            You are right, i missed word Vulkan in label, so i automatically supposed that this is OpenGL test, which would be more interesting, Vulka is just on the start, no games, no real value for gaming.

Comment

This is NOT a great news: if Vulkan doesn't perform great on Windows less and less software houses are going to adopt it instead of DX12
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

While I don't think The Talos Principle is a good indicator of Vulkan performance due to it essentially being a rush job, the relative performance between platforms is certainly interesting. I hope this kind of lead is maintained longer term.

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to purposely gimp Vulkan performance on Windows to make DX12 more attractive.
                Microsoft don't write the drivers, Nvidia, AMD and Intel do. Microsoft have nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  This is NOT a great news: if Vulkan doesn't perform great on Windows less and less software houses are going to adopt it instead of DX12
                  It's the performance relative to DX12 that is the issue with regards to your point, not the relative performance between Linux and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post
                    ...this could be exactly the sort of thing Steam Machines needed if Valve can reliably showcase these results;...
                    Or just showcase it in general.

Comment

Working...
                    X