No announcement yet.

Testing Ubuntu's User-Space/Bash On Windows Is Going Well, Benchmarks Incoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Ubuntu's User-Space/Bash On Windows Is Going Well, Benchmarks Incoming

Phoronix: Testing Ubuntu's User-Space/Bash On Windows Is Going Well, Benchmarks Incoming

While many were commenting on my article this week about being burned out and frustrated with ads that I should take the weekend off, I did not, but I've been having a surprisingly stress-free time playing with Ubuntu Bash on Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now only if it will help in porting windows apps to Linux...

Comment

Now if only Microsoft could port PowerShell to Linux.

Comment

This is exciting. Looking forward to the comparison between hosted and native.

Michael, are you going to try setting up an X server under bash? Or try using one of the native Windows X servers? Outside of devops and their dark cloudy magic, that's where most of the community curiosity seems to lie.

Comment

I had to make a few tweaks to the Phoronix-Test-Suite Git but nothing major so far. Just due to some differences in the handling of files/symlinks that there were some silly issues encountered, but if you are running Phoronix Test Suite Git you can set the BASH_FOR_WINDOWS=1 environment variable to workaround those shortcomings in Windows' Linux subsystem.
          Are the few tweaks you've had to make to PTS true bug fixes or workarounds?

In my experience porting open source software between platforms, I've seen the code base benefit from the rigour of switching the underlying implementation of system libraries, whilst using the same public interface. e.g. the porting process uncovers areas where lax assumptions were made that 'just worked' for one system, but weren't truly in spec compliance.

Interested to see the changes once they hit Git and hear your thoughts Michael.

Comment

Michael, at the end of the article you got a link that doesn't point back to one of your website(s), please fix.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
              This is exciting. Looking forward to the comparison between hosted and native.

Michael, are you going to try setting up an X server under bash? Or try using one of the native Windows X servers? Outside of devops and their dark cloudy magic, that's where most of the community curiosity seems to lie.
              Maybe later on I'll mess with X Server support but not for now.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post

Are the few tweaks you've had to make to PTS true bug fixes or workarounds?
                Minor workarounds.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Now if only Microsoft could port PowerShell to Linux.

This gave me a good chuckle...

Comment

I'm sorry but I have to question Micro$oft's motives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrac...and_extinguish

Comment

Working...
                    X