Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Wild 40-Way Linux System Benchmark Comparison

Phoronix: A Wild 40-Way Linux System Benchmark Comparison

With recently having upgraded some of the systems in our benchmark lab, commissioned a few new systems, and made some other changes, for your weekend enjoyment are some fresh benchmarks of 40 distinctly different Linux systems various performance tests.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somehow the FX 8150 is outperforming the FX 8350 on every test here. That's a bit odd.

Comment

@Michael

Pentium G3258 stay in stock clock?????

And if is could be add test OC at 4.0Ghz

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
        @Michael

Pentium G3258 stay in stock clock?????

And if is could be add test OC at 4.0Ghz

All CPUs are at stock clock frequencies.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'll be getting a new CPU next year, but if I were to buy a CPU this year, what would be a great CPU for decent performance for music making and playing games in Linux that does not put out a lot of heat? I like to go for near-silence or complete silence if I can, as I would like to couple that with a Thermalright HR-22 Heatsink.

I do plan to go for AMD Zen CPU, so I'm not in a rush to buy a new CPU. Kaveri sucks anyway but I'll stick with it for now.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            I'll be getting a new CPU next year, but if I were to buy a CPU this year, what would be a great CPU for decent performance for music making and playing games in Linux that does not put out a lot of heat? I like to go for near-silence or complete silence if I can, as I would like to couple that with a Thermalright HR-22 Heatsink.

I do plan to go for AMD Zen CPU, so I'm not in a rush to buy a new CPU. Kaveri sucks anyway but I'll stick with it for now.
            Zen is hyped a lot, and if rumors are true, it should be worth it. (As long as it will be sold at a reasonable price.)

Comment

Why is the Xeon E3-1280 v5 often outperformed by slower E3-12xx v5 Xeons? Maybe the heatsink is loose and you're encountering thermal clock throttling?

Maybe it has ECC RAM and you're getting lots of single-bit errors?

IMO, it's worth looking into. Benchmarks are only valid if the systems are working properly.

Comment

Wow, that Xeon E3-1280 v5 sucks. I'm glad no one is using it repeatedly as the main system for doing any kind of benchmarks on a linux related website that posts a lot of benchmark articles.

Comment

The lammps test fails for me with the following error (from debug run):
                  Code:
                  [proxy:0:0@steamos] HYDU_create_process (utils/launch/launch.c:75): execvp error on file lmp_debian (No such file or directory)
                  unless I modify the line:
                  Code:
                  mpirun -np $NUM_CPU_CORES lmp_debian < $@ > $LOG_FILE 2>&1
                  to:
                  Code:
                  mpirun -np $NUM_CPU_CORES ./lmp_debian < $@ > $LOG_FILE 2>&1
                  My specs from the test itself: http://openbenchmarking.org/system/1...ST9851472/test

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                    Somehow the FX 8150 is outperforming the FX 8350 on every test here. That's a bit odd.
                    I wonder if the powersaving features where even disabled in bios.

Comment

Working...
                    X