Systemd 230 Opens Up A New Graphics Vulnerability & FBDEV Still Should Die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 230 Opens Up A New Graphics Vulnerability & FBDEV Still Should Die

Phoronix: Systemd 230 Opens Up A New Graphics Vulnerability & FBDEV Still Should Die

A change made in the recent release of systemd 230 makes it easy for rogue user processes to be able to spy on your desktop, assuming a few conditions are met...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My (travel) netbook uses the gma500 driver. Does this driver uses fbdev? Would killing the fbdev driver mean that this is the latest kernel for this machine?

Comment

Originally posted by ArthurBorsboom View Post
      My (travel) netbook uses the gma500 driver. Does this driver uses fbdev? Would killing the fbdev driver mean that this is the latest kernel for this machine?
      gma500 is a DRM/KMS driver. However, like other in-kernel KMS drivers, it probably provides fbdev compatibility. Does your console switch to a higher resolution when gma500 loads? If yes, that's the fbdev compatibility at play.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        gma500 is a DRM/KMS driver. However, like other in-kernel KMS drivers, it probably provides fbdev compatibility. Does your console switch to a higher resolution when gma500 loads? If yes, that's the fbdev compatibility at play.
        Certain distros actually force it to use fbdev due to issues with KMS. This smells like the drivers were or are buggy

Comment

Just kill fbdev please.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Unless there's an alternative to fbdev I'm not aware of, I don't think it should ever be killed off. I personally find it very useful, and it can do a lot of interesting things. It allows you to get a working X session without proper GPU drivers (ideal for some ARM platforms). It allows you to graphically view websites, images, and PDFs through a tty (implying no graphical server). You can even do a VNC client through a tty. Are all of those features really all that practical? Maybe not, but it's this kind of stuff why I think Linux is so fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Unless there's an alternative to fbdev I'm not aware of
              That would be KMS.
              Thankfully, that's the model embedded developers are now focusing on.

Comment

Speaking of the framebuffer and KMS:

Does anyone here know what happened to David Herrmann's plans to create a KMS console (KMSCON)?

EDIT: Oh, KMSCON's successor is in systemd?

• KMSCON (Maintainer, 2011 – 2014): KMSCON is a terminal/console emulator for Linux. It was created as replacement for the in-kernel terminal emulator and VT subsystem. It is based on the Linux DRM subsystem and uses Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) to display the console to the screen. Similar to Wayland it is an attempt to replace the old Linux infrastructure with a modern approach and producing better maintainable code while dropping the 20-year old mess that is VT+X11. In 2014, I stopped working on it. We implemented a replacement in systemd, based on the lessons learned on KMSCON.
                For about half a year I am now constantly working on a new project called kmscon. The idea emerged when reading on Jesse Barnes' Blog about EGL+KMS. KMS stands for Kernel Mode Setting and is provided by the kernel DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) subsystem. The modesetting API (KMS) is a small part of the whole DRM…
                Last edited by ermo; 23 May 2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                  Speaking of the framebuffer and KMS:

Does anyone here know what happened to David Herrmann's plans to create a KMS console (KMSCON)?

EDIT: Oh, KMSCON's successor is in systemd?
                  systemd-consoled

EDIT: The lead developer dropped it: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/747
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

systemd-consoled

EDIT: The lead developer dropped it: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/747
                    Just a thought, but FBDEV likely exists because some people find its functionality--if not the specific implementation details--useful. Seems to me that in an ideal world, KMSCON would need to be revived in some shape or form before it would be possible to kill off FBDEV?

In addition, it would likely end up being an additional driver for the ARM-people to just create a DRM/KMS driver for their hardware already and everyone would be happy?

Comment

Working...
                    X