Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express SSD

Phoronix: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express SSD

The latest piece of hardware I've been playing around with at Phoronix is Samsung's V-NAND SSD 950 PRO M.2 NVM Express SSD. Assuming you are running a modern Linux distribution, this M.2 PCI-E NVMe SSD can offer blazing fast performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Samsung really needs to come out with the 1TB version. They've promised it for 2016h1. Heck, even OCZ has a 1TB M.2 SSD now.

Comment

I have two of these in RAID 0, I can confirm intense fastness.

Comment

I have this module as well. Incredibly fast. It will throttle if it gets hot.

Comment

Those days I watch for ssd and I definitely want to get intel 750 ssd (pci express one) but Im not sure how it works on linux and what is the minimal version of kernel
          Is any one have one ?

Comment

somehow it has bigger difference in specs than in real results

Comment

The link that is supposed to go to the workstation motherboard in the article goes to the multi-queue article.

Workstation MB article is here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...kstation&num=1

Comment

I have one of those and it is great. There is one drawback if you use it as your boot drive (this is the only storage device I have in my computer in my case, so little choice), grub cannot boot on it as it does not recognize NVMe drives. I lost half a day and a part of my sanity trying to debug the issue. In the end I used systemd-boot and it worked fine.

Comment

Can you tests pts/sqlite with and without write barrier enabled (fstab mount options/on by default)?

Comment

A lot of people recommend using pci-e m2 cards with cooling fins on this SSD because of the heat and the throttling that happens when it overheats under heavy load.
                    I don't know how big that problem is under normal conditions, but that is pretty much the only negative thing I've seen about this drive (except the price compared to non-NVMe M2 SSDs).
                    This is still the only semi-consumer M2 NVMe SSD on the market, even though it's been out for a while now (except the predecessor SM951 NVMe which is hard to find).

Comment

Working...
                    X