No announcement yet.

The GTX 1080 Pascal Linux OpenGL / OpenCL / Vulkan Benchmarks Begin Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GTX 1080 Pascal Linux OpenGL / OpenCL / Vulkan Benchmarks Begin Tomorrow

Phoronix: The GTX 1080 Pascal Linux OpenGL / OpenCL / Vulkan Benchmarks Begin Tomorrow

I've been extremely anxious since the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070/1080 "Pascal" announcement last month to see how these cards perform under Linux using open standards like OpenGL, Vulkan, and OpenCL, and you probably have been too if you're reading Phoronix. Fortunately, the start of the GeForce GTX 1080 Pascal benchmarks will be revealed tomorrow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mike! You should have called AMD for your GTX-1080 unit. Raj just demonstrated one at Computex, so you know they have them on hand, and we could finally get AMD contributing review samples to Phoronix!

Comment

I am actually interested to see how SLI works out under Linux with these cards. Be interesting to see what percentage of boost you get and if SLI is more effective with OGL under Linux then DX under Windows (SLI under Windows isn't that great, you get like 40% boost I hear).

I do know AMD Crossfire offers better dual card performance then SLI, but unfortunately that isn't available under Linux just yet (and it needs a bit of fixing in some areas).

Comment

The 1080 looks like a beast of a gaming card. Quite a step up from the 900 series. I invested in the original GTX Titan back in 2013, and it's still going strong with everything I throw at it, but at this rate it sounds like it may not have as long of a useful gaming life as I had hoped. I can't believe the 1080 does 8228 Gflops in single precision; nearly double the 4500 Gflops of the GTX Titan. That's huge.

Of course the original Titan still destroys the 1080 when it comes to double precision. I get that NVidia wants to steer pro graphics customers to the quadro line, but damn they *really* cripple the crap out of the newer cards on double precision. For comparison, this latest 1080 card does 257 Gflops, while my original GTX Titan does 1300 Gflops.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          I hope AMD send you a Radeon 8GB edition of the RX480 for free so we will have some competition
          That would be nice. It would also be the first time that AMD has ever sent hardware to Phoronix, so I'm not expecting any miracles.
          Additionally, there's no guarantee that there would be launch day software support for the 480.

Comment

I don't understand that decision, too but I was bashed for pointing out why.
            Despite the fact that imho SLI has no future, I'd be interested in the actual frametimes that two of those would generate under Linux. Michael did you remember to order a bridge along that card? You need a new SLI bridge for two 1080s.

RX 480 is not going to compete with GTX 1080, you'll have to wait until Vega.

Comment

I hope AMD send you a Radeon 8GB edition of the RX480 for free so we will have some competition
              He needs to buy two 480 cards, thats if AMD intend to come through on their MultiGPU support.

Comment

MIchael back then you bought a AMD fury you did not buy the Fury X but now you buy the 1080 instead of a 1070... what would be the same logic than fury vs fury X...
                It was all a matter of what I could afford at the time, at least this week getting birthday subscribers so can afford the 1080.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

He needs to buy two 480 cards, thats if AMD intend to come through on their MultiGPU support.
                  Hopefully I am getting them for free... AMD has invited me out to California next week to discuss Polaris.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    I don't understand that decision, too but I was bashed for pointing out why.
                    Despite the fact that imho SLI has no future, I'd be interested in the actual frametimes that two of those would generate under Linux. Michael did you remember to order a bridge along that card? You need a new SLI bridge for two 1080s.
                    I didn't order a bridge since I don't even know if I will be able to do SLI.... I don't know if NVIDIA is giving me a 1080 or not, so far nothing, that's why I ordered this card.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X