Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston Nukes Its Raspberry Pi Backend/Renderer

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Nukes Its Raspberry Pi Backend/Renderer

Upstream Wayland developers have decided to drop the specialized Raspberry Pi back-end and renderer from the Weston compositor code-base...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another reminder that as touted as they were for being a good learning platform, the RPi's are still very shitty in terms of openness. Then again, a lot of ARM products are the absolute worst for openness

Comment

"Very shitty for openness" is a little unbalanced, I think. If you look at anything else, the Rpi is actually the most open ARM platform period for boards that have a GPU. Beaglebone, with the kernel parts open (not userspace) might come in second. Most importantly, the Rpi is the most powerful political and technical force propelling us closer and closer to an open VideoCore. We aren't there yet, but but the Rpi itself is important for getting us there in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
        Another reminder that as touted as they were for being a good learning platform, the RPi's are still very shitty in terms of openness. Then again, a lot of ARM products are the absolute worst for openness
        The open KMS and Mesa drivers already work for Weston on RPi today.

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post
          "Very shitty for openness" is a little unbalanced, I think. If you look at anything else, the Rpi is actually the most open ARM platform period for boards that have a GPU. Beaglebone, with the kernel parts open (not userspace) might come in second. Most importantly, the Rpi is the most powerful political and technical force propelling us closer and closer to an open VideoCore. We aren't there yet, but but the Rpi itself is important for getting us there in the future.
          I'm not sure about that... The Tegra series works with nouveau, and I'm pretty sure many of the Freescale products support open source drivers. RPi may be more open source than competitors like OMAP or Mali, but it still has a way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
            I agree, how can 14 year-old schoolkids hope to learn to code if they haven't got the opportunity to hack on the graphics stack?

[/sarcasm]

Comment

Originally posted by Palu Macil View Post
              Look at dragonboard 410c. Its "reference" platforms both (debian and android) run freedreno.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                The Tegra series works with nouveau
                nvidia does not develop nouveau, broadcom develops vc4
                and I'm pretty sure many of the Freescale products support open source drivers.
                i'm pretty sure they don't support mesa. there are only 3 mesa arm drivers and only one of them is developed by vendor - the one for rpi
                RPi may be more open source than competitors like OMAP or Mali, but it still has a way to go.
                where exactly it has to go?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  nvidia does not develop nouveau, broadcom develops vc4
                  First of all, yes, nvidia does contribute toward nouveau for Tegra. Second, why does it matter? It's still open source drivers, and they work.
                  i'm pretty sure they don't support mesa.
                  Well I do know for a fact there are Freescale products with working OpenGL and GLES. Whether they're open source, I'm not sure.
                  where exactly it has to go?
                  In terms of open source drivers. From what I heard, there are still closed-source binaries.

For the record - I don't personally give a crap if drivers are open source or not. I just care if they work properly.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 03 June 2016, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I believe the original Model B (256MB RAM) cannot run the open source driver due to not having enough RAM. I tried to enable it for testing, but it did not work. I still use it, and it was kind of painful to use with Xorg.

Comment

Working...
                    X