Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nextcloud 9 Released, All Enterprise Features To Be Opened Up

Phoronix: Nextcloud 9 Released, All Enterprise Features To Be Opened Up

Less than two weeks after ownCloud was forked into Nextcloud, the project today did their version 9 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Nextcloud 9 is available today as the fork of ownCloud 9. Nextcloud also announced that all enterprise functionality would be available as open-source."

Then they've already won. Goodbye OwnCloud.

Comment

Waiting on Fedora to switch to NextCloud. As soon as they do, I'll be switching over my installation.

Comment

The manual https://docs.nextcloud.org/server/9/...tallation.html still has plenty of references to owncloud (including download links!).
        Rob
        email: [email protected]

Comment

Love this csgo team

Comment

All Enterprise Features To Be Opened Up
            That's a bit misleading, both in the original blog post and in the phoronix article. Owncloud's enterprise features are not GPLed, and nextcloud does not own the copyright, so they can neither distribute nor open up owncloud's existing enterprise features. Nextcloud will have to redevelop all of it, and that will take time. It's also unclear whether they will aim for 1:1 feature compatibility, or whether they have different priorities or targets for their enterprise support.

I do like the move, though. It's good for end-users for added featurs, it's good for enterprises because their code gets more review and contributions. I hope it's financially beneficial for nextcloud.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
              That's a bit misleading, both in the original blog post and in the phoronix article. Owncloud's enterprise features are not GPLed, and nextcloud does not own the copyright, so they can neither distribute nor open up owncloud's existing enterprise features. Nextcloud will have to redevelop all of it, and that will take time. It's also unclear whether they will aim for 1:1 feature compatibility, or whether they have different priorities or targets for their enterprise support.
              As dagger pointed out, looks like they flat out copied documentation assets from ownCloud, what makes you think they didn't take a "backup" of the proprietary enterprise feature code before they left? Since this whole thing was an internal coup by core developers, it's certainly plausible that they did. After all, it would certainly come in handy while they're "redeveloping" wink-wink-nudge-nudge those features at nextcloud.

Comment

I generally am a forerunner and pioneer on this kind of thing but I'm cautious about switching over on my 2 Arch ownCloud installations.

I actually was planning on deploying 2 more ownCloud installations on Arch aswell however I would like to wait and see if they provide pkg.tar.xz packages.

I am excited for them as they seemed to note features like Video Conferencing that were interesting.

I also have my eyes intently fixed as this project is brought by the founder and visionary of ownCloud - no wonder he split the project when the corporation's vision differed from him.

I also fixed a WD MyCloud this week that was on Debian Jessse where it nearly destroyed all client data - NextCloud's new idea to create hardware to sell seems reasonable and welcome.

Please not Debian though -____- PPA's are a fandangled mess.
                Last edited by ElectricPrism; 14 June 2016, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                  I also fixed a WD MyCloud this week that was on Debian Jessse where it nearly destroyed all client data - NextCloud's new idea to create hardware to sell seems reasonable and welcome.
                  what nearly destroyed the data?

+1000 for the "sell hardware with this integrated", it will be shit, but will sell well.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    As dagger pointed out, looks like they flat out copied documentation assets from ownCloud
                    Right there in the documentation, at the bottom of the page that dagger linked to, is the license of the documentation. They certainly took everything from owncloud that they could legally take; it would be stupid not to. Considering that much of owncloud is released under permissive licenses, that is a lot.

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    what makes you think they didn't take a "backup" of the proprietary enterprise feature code before they left? Since this whole thing was an internal coup by core developers, it's certainly plausible that they did. After all, it would certainly come in handy while they're "redeveloping" wink-wink-nudge-nudge those features at nextcloud.
                    I think they're smarter than that. The remaining owncloud people do have lawyers, they will compare nextcloud's code, and they certainly are not on friendly terms. Nextcloud is a fresh company, trying to become profitable, a justified lawsuit would ruin both their reputation and their finances.

Taking such a risk just to save a bit of time on reimplementing seems unwise.

They do have many of the core developers, and those should remember the architecture, the problems they met and the solutions they used. That's worth a lot more than a copy of code.

Comment

Working...
                    X