Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Graphics Performance With Radeon Software, AMDGPU-PRO, AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Graphics Performance With Radeon Software, AMDGPU-PRO, AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Graphics Performance With Radeon Software, AMDGPU-PRO, AMDGPU+RadeonSI

Yesterday I published some Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Linux gaming benchmarks using the GeForce GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 graphics cards. Those numbers were interesting with the NVIDIA proprietary driver but for benchmarking this weekend are Windows 10 results with Radeon Software compared to Ubuntu 16.04 running the new AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver as well as the latest Git code for a pure open-source driver stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know it takes more effort to test on Windows vs. Linux, so thank you for the extra effort

Comment

There is something with the CPU on Linux. Maybe open compilers missing optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
        I know it takes more effort to test on Windows vs. Linux, so thank you for the extra effort
        Seconded.

In summary, it seems like AMDGPU-PRO vs RadeonSI is all over the place, but Windows usually comes out ahead. As always, looks like progress is being made on that front though.

(Not strictly on-topic) Also, does anyone know what the situation for the r600 driver is like? I arbitrarily decided I wanted to try supporting as far back as radeon 6000-series in my crappy code, but I'd love compute shaders, and last I checked r600 was only up to openGL 4.1. How feasible is it to get support for 4.3 for those cards?

Comment

always the same, I can't understand the point of the closed drivers since they are not better

Comment

Originally posted by reepca View Post

Seconded.

In summary, it seems like AMDGPU-PRO vs RadeonSI is all over the place, but Windows usually comes out ahead. As always, looks like progress is being made on that front though.
            Motioned Carried - We are all very grateful (and rather happy) that these comparisons are taking place! Much (manly) Love!

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
              always the same, I can't understand the point of the closed drivers since they are not better
              There are valid business reasons for providing "certified" drivers for workstations.
              If we can get all the windows drivers OpenGL optimisations as well all the better (but I am not sure if these are a unified driver or 2 completely seperate code bases)

Comment

It's good to see that the Vulkan performance is about the same for Linux and Windows. If Polaris is indeed competitive with Nvidia cards, I'll likely buy a RX 480.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  There is something with the CPU on Linux. Maybe open compilers missing optimizations.
                  Why?

There're three popular C/C++ compilers — GCC, Clang, and — the only closed compiler — the MS one. Last time I compared GCC produced code faster than Clang. And GCC has really many optimizations. I can't compare with MS one, but I actually very doubt it produces assembly better than GCC.

Comment

Damn, that's some thorough testing, thanks michael.

Looks like AMDGPU is really shaping up I'm pretty impressed here, although some games had shot performance on linux, they're getting there.

Really cool to see these talos principle benches where you get to see d3d11, opengl and vulkan side by side. Vulkan seems to be just barely catching up to opengl. I notice though that on AMDGPU vulkan on linux and windows seem to be roughly on par whereas for nvidia windows is a clear winner, shows who nvidia favorites (whereas AMD doesn't seem to be particularly picking sides).

Getting kinda mixed signals from Nvidia, they campaign for vulkan over dx12, but still seem to want everyone to stick with Windows 10, I don't understand these guys, why do they want vulkan more than dx12? and why do they want people to stay on windows even if that means hurting their own linux driver performnace?

Comment

Working...
                    X