Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Users Now Have An Experimental Firefox Wayland Package

Phoronix: Fedora Users Now Have An Experimental Firefox Wayland Package

While Fedora 24 made great inroads on their Wayland support plans for running GNOME by default off this next-generation technology compared to X11, the Firefox package in Fedora currently relies upon Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"currently relies upon Wayland" → "relies upon X11"

Comment

Great! Just switched to fedora 24 this morning, will try this out!

Edit: hm not much luck for me here. Crashes after a few clicks (with normal and new profile)
      Will try to post a meaningful bug report
      Last edited by treba; 22 June 2016, 09:58 AM.

Comment

What I learned from this article:
        up till now Firefox didn't work on wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          What I learned from this article:
          up till now Firefox didn't work on wayland.
          Firefox works on XWayland. 95% of graphical programs don't run natively on Wayland yet, especially not ones with very large, very old codebases like Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
            "currently relies upon Wayland" → "relies upon X11"
            Probably supposed to say XWayland.

Comment

Looks like OpenGL acceleration will work, after switching to EGL from GLX.

Comment

Here's an interesting use case for Firefox on Wayland: Firefox on separate user without X, isolated from your session. With Wayland (at least from weston-launch), you can have GUI sessions on more than one TTY and one of them can be your X session. If a website does something nasty but can't break root, your main home directory is safe. You can even trash and remake this whole directory for every session as an powerful antitracking tool.

Set up another user account and put copies your locked-down and customized .mozilla and .cache/mozilla directories there and chown them to that account. Now you can ctrl-alt-F2 to another TTY, log in as that account, run weston-launch and then run Firefox as that user. To fetch a file you want to upload, ctrl-alt-F7 back to your X session and login, it's still there. You can set move files between the directories via Sudo from your main account and chown them to match. Setting up the Firefox user account without sudo priviliges closes another attack vector, BTW. Your home directory should not be writable or even listable from the Firefox user account.

Comment

Curious.

Has anyone managed to run any other XUL based applications on Wayland or Broadway? Launching Firefox with Broadway for the backend, I'm presented with a (no doubt beautiful and tear free) crash reporter.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                    Curious.

Has anyone managed to run any other XUL based applications on Wayland or Broadway? Launching Firefox with Broadway for the backend, I'm presented with a (no doubt beautiful and tear free) crash reporter.
                    Hmm, I'm suspecting that direct-rendering programs cannot go through broadway. Or run on Wayland unless the parts relying on Xorg are rewritten.

On FIrefox the gtk+ is only for windows decoration afaik.

Comment

Working...
                    X