No announcement yet.

Fresh AMDGPU-PRO vs. Mesa 12.1-dev Performance FIgures For The Radeon RX 480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh AMDGPU-PRO vs. Mesa 12.1-dev Performance FIgures For The Radeon RX 480

Phoronix: Fresh AMDGPU-PRO vs. Mesa 12.1-dev Performance FIgures For The Radeon RX 480

As it's been a few weeks since the Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" launch and there's been more RadeonSI Polaris commits since launch day, I figured I'd run some fresh benchmarks this weekend of the open vs. hybrid AMD Linux driver stacks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hey Michael, are you using DisplayPort or HDMI in your opensource tests?

Comment

RadeonSI is shaping up nicely. How about AMDGPU (non pro) vs RadeonSI? How do they compare?

Comment

"AMDGPU (non pro)" is RadeonSI :-)

amdgpu is the name of the kernel module, radeonsi is the name of the userspace driver for OpenGL in Mesa.

Comment

Cool, It's looking fantastic.

Comment

Really impressed with what the open source guys are doing. The performance keeps on coming with each release and gives longevity to AMD graphics on Linux.

I'm most looking forward to seeing more mature overclocking, freesync and Vulkan support and not forgetting that shader cache .

I was seriously planning on getting a GTX 1070 for my next PC build. But since I saw the Doom vulkan benchmarks and all the continual improvements to radeonsi and AMDGPU, it's made me want to wait to for the Vega release. AMD could really have turned the corner with Zen also on the way.

Comment

@LeJimster I'm anxious to see Zen as well.But, I have preconceptions that I'm gonna have to ignore for a while, otherwise I probably won't give it a fair chance. I hope it meets highest expectations though.

Comment

I think Zen will be a substantial step forward, but I don't think it will be able to deliver supercomputer capabilities. AMD has to earn some money, so they will target market volume, and i don't think that's the highend.

Comment

They are aiming for enthusiast top end consumer with Zen and then releasing Server and lower end stuff later. They want to compete with Intel at the top.

For me they don't have to be the best, but as long as they're close to Intel's best and have good pricing I will retire my aging Q6600.

Comment

Originally posted by nhaehnle View Post
                    "AMDGPU (non pro)" is RadeonSI :-)

amdgpu is the name of the kernel module, radeonsi is the name of the userspace driver for OpenGL in Mesa.
                    But amdgpu-pro is the name of the (closed source) userspace api implementation.
                    Not confusing at all

Comment

Working...
                    X