Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

Phoronix: Firefox 49 To Offer Linux Widevine Support, Firefox Also Working On WebP Support

There are two exciting bits of Mozilla Firefox news to pass along today: Winevine support on Linux out-of-the-box to handle Netflix and friends. Separately, WebP image support is being worked on...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good, a necessary evil, but having one less reason to use chromium is always good.

Comment

Unfortunately this will probably be the same as Chrome and Netflix won't serve HD to it. Which still makes it useless for watching Netflix or HTPC purposes.

Comment

Anyone got Netflix to actually work with it yet?

I'm running Firefox Nightly with Widevine installed.

Comment

It does work with DRM content on YouTube though...

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
            Anyone got Netflix to actually work with it yet?

I'm running Firefox Nightly with Widevine installed.
            Try spoofing your user agent to windows running firefox. If that works, kindly report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehvis View Post
              Unfortunately this will probably be the same as Chrome and Netflix won't serve HD to it. Which still makes it useless for watching Netflix or HTPC purposes.
              AFAIK netflix is just checking user agent for that, change user agent with an addon to show you are on a Windows PC, and it should let you stream HD.

Also, I thought they removed that restriction for Chrome on linux.

Comment

I take it this is still a binary blob. I can (sadly) live with that but I guess it still rules ARM out?

Comment

Props to mozilla. Linux doesn't have video acceleration and has drm. While i am all for convenience (netflix etc) having the batteries emptying is something i would prefer not to have while watching vids.

Comment

This brings up some questions:
                    - Who really wants to have DRM crap on linux?
                    - How exactly does this Widevine stuff work and what is it able to do?
                    - How can you disable it?

Comment

Working...
                    X