Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Rolls Out Its Own Mount Tool

Phoronix: Systemd Rolls Out Its Own Mount Tool

Systemd-mount is the newest tool added to systemd by Lennart Poettering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder when systemd-gnu will happen

Comment

Never

Comment

good thing. Lets hope with this, my system wont stop at the boot screen just because my /home/share/(mostly a steam,wine and music partition) needs a fsck while the important / and /home are ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Uramekus

systemd is kinda removing the GNU part of linux, so , it may be more like Systemd/Linux than GNU/Systemd
          There will come a day when Linux is part of systemd (or systemd will replace Linux with it's own kernel). Then, instead of Systemd/Linux, the sytem will be called simply Systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
            good thing. Lets hope with this, my system wont stop at the boot screen just because my /home/share/(mostly a steam,wine and music partition) needs a fsck while the important / and /home are ready.
            If that fsck takes too long, and you start the session and start steam or wine before /home/share is mounted... What will happen? Probably nothing good...

Comment

Originally posted by agaman View Post

If that fsck takes too long, and you start the session and start steam or wine before /home/share is mounted... What will happen? Probably nothing good...
              Nothing bad would happen either. It would block on trying to read the file from the directory - which itself would wait for it to be mounted. That's how autofs mounts work. Unfortunately, there would be no indication or notification that this is happening.

Comment

I really thought the anti-systemd people were kinda crazy when they just wanted to do init.rc replacements, but yeah, I think this is going for replacing all the runtime and system control software stacks. I really happen to like those. It pushes me back towards Alpine Linux, for everything but games anyway. It seems that games are always the one thing that can't keep up with the stack changes.

Comment

Here we go, systemd haters incoming.
                  If systemd is so bad, why do all major distributions use it instead of moving on without it ?
                  Actually I think it's a good thing to bring a solid base software stack to Linux. Just look at all the messy boot tooling implementations like Plymouth or Grub.
                  Let's hope systemd will deliver solutions for that in future and I bet it will see adoption too.
                  And seriously who cares what Hurd et al. can or not can...

Comment

OpenRC for the win

Comment

Working...
                    X