Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Continuing & Numerous Contributions To Open-Source

Phoronix: Google's Continuing & Numerous Contributions To Open-Source

Marc Merlin of Google presented at this week's LinuxCon 2016 event in Toronto how the company has -- and continues to -- contribute to open-source software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They mentioned forcing companies to open up drivers leveraging ChromeOS and Android... They don't seem to be very successful on the graphics side of it.

Comment

Amen. Long live Google.

Comment

This is very nice of Google.
        Android is my favourite mobile OS because is open source.
        I hope in the future Google will continue on this path and reduce the spying on people and let people to opt-in on things by themselves and not by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
          Look what they did to youtube.
          Yeah, they should have kept that free and also ad-free, and make money off lolwtfIdunnowhat. How evil.
          Look how a search engine unfurled out to blatant personal data mining.
          I think you meant anonymized population-scale statistical analysis there.
          The ones doing blatant personal data mining are the ones at Facebook and Watsapp.

The sad truth is that a struggle to reclaim your privacy online directly involves countering their efforts. We forget this at our peril.
          Actually, Google's stuff is the least of the issues.

The issue is when some sites have like 45 trackers (not even kidding) in my browser extension's "stfu" list.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Yeah, they should have kept that free and also ad-free, and make money off lolwtfIdunnowhat. How evil.
            I think you meant anonymized population-scale statistical analysis there.
            The ones doing blatant personal data mining are the ones at Facebook and Watsapp.

Actually, Google's stuff is the least of the issues.

The issue is when some sites have like 45 trackers (not even kidding) in my browser extension's "stfu" list.
            Definitely this. I'm not an expert on these issues but my understanding is that Google uses what they know about you to pick from the ads that they sold. They do not give that information to the advertiser. Facebook and many others will actually sell your information to advertisers. This difference is a big deal to me. Big enough of a deal that if it's not accurate I'd love someone to correct me.

Comment

But are these trinkets? Google cannot be excused for their misdeeds which they still won't go back on, even if they throw some of their revenue towards the important things like making more software opensource.
              Look what they did to youtube. Look how a search engine unfurled out to blatant personal data mining.

The sad truth is that a struggle to reclaim your privacy online directly involves countering their efforts. We forget this at our peril.
              You are absolutely right. Please kind sir, could you hold Google accountable for ... what did they do again... and punish them by ... wait... how can we even do that..

Comment

Look what they did to youtube. Look how a search engine unfurled out to blatant personal data mining.
                they did best video streaming site and best search engine. for youtube they bought on2, developed vp9 and now are developing av1. basically, they are solving videocodec issues once and for all like opus did for audio

Comment

I was wondering, I saw this "refrain from working on AGPL projects since they are not safe for us to interact with," I am a little curious to why that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
                    I was wondering, I saw this "refrain from working on AGPL projects since they are not safe for us to interact with," I am a little curious to why that is.
                    Quoting verbatim from AGPL https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html "The GNU Affero General Public License is designed specifically to ensure that, in such cases, the modified source code becomes available to the community. It requires the operator of a network server to provide the source code of the modified version running there to the users of that server. Therefore, public use of a modified version, on a publicly accessible server, gives the public access to the source code of the modified version."
                    I think you can easily understand why they don't like this license.

Comment

Working...
                    X