Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Linux Radeon Software Performance, Including AMDGPU-PRO & RadeonSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Linux Radeon Software Performance, Including AMDGPU-PRO & RadeonSI

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Linux Radeon Software Performance, Including AMDGPU-PRO & RadeonSI

As alluded to earlier and on Twitter, the past few days I have been working on a fresh Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux graphics/gaming performance comparison. This time it's looking at the latest Radeon performance using an R9 Fury and RX 480. Tests on Windows were obviously done with Radeon Software Crimson Edition while under Linux were the two latest AMD/RTG Linux driver options: the hybrid AMDGPU-PRO driver and the fully open-source driver via Linux 4.8 and Mesa 12.1-dev.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The only real letdown from these tests were showing how the performance on Linux can be much worse when the game is ported less than ideally, such as with Tomb Raider and GRID Autosport. With those games having been available on Linux for several months now and already seen updates from Feral, it's looking less and less likely the Linux performance of those ported games will ever be at parity to Windows.
    Turtle Interactive , last time i tried Tomb Raider on AMD blob even their launcher started to use ~2 GB of RAM... do not touch that thingy

Comment

For real though, what the fuck is with Metro's performance?!? Plays faster on my old GTX 660. Even weirder is that it runs with very little performance change on the AMDGPU-PRO driver depending on resolution.

Comment

PRO runs profile for Metro so that is probably broken, probably in the same update when benchmarking was borked ... did not inpect that but probably one of those two seems made an issue.

Comment

It looks like Metro does not start really well with that injector for blob so it taken indirect accel thus slow... but game itself might run fine otherwise, dunno just a guess

Comment

Insufficient... But on the right track, very nice.

Comment

I wonder if we're close enough to hold out hope for these next two things to happen in like a years time:

1. AMD mesa reaches proprietary Nvidia performance.
              2. Steam boxes with inexpensive AMD Zen APU configurations hit the market.

Seriously, $300 steam boxes with performance that surpasses Xbone/PS4 could make some waves in 2017 if those two events happen.

Comment

Fury X is really cheap now, at least where I live. I thought it was cheap before... I've just made room for a second one in my case (by repositioning my CPU radiator). Will be interesting to see what difference it makes with upcoming games that use Vulkan. I don't know why AMD hasn't sent one Michael's way for benchmarking in all this time.

It's just a darn shame that the free software drivers have no Crossfire support. I know it's not exactly a priority right now - still lots of amdgpu bugs to sort out, OpenGL 4.4 and 4.5 to finish off, the DAL and FreeSync support, etc... but it would make me much happier if AMD at least had it on the radar. It doesn't look like OpenGL's going to magically disappear, so Windows will always have an advantage until this aspect can be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                  For real though, what the fuck is with Metro's performance?!? Plays faster on my old GTX 660. Even weirder is that it runs with very little performance change on the AMDGPU-PRO driver depending on resolution.
                  Was that you on /g/ a while back?

Comment

Impressive progress, props to AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X