Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC Might Finally Drop The GNU Compiler For Java (GCJ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC Might Finally Drop The GNU Compiler For Java (GCJ)

Phoronix: GCC Might Finally Drop The GNU Compiler For Java (GCJ)

The GNU Compiler for Java (GCJ) while made a lot of progress in its early years as a free software Java compiler, in recent years it's basically been in maintenance mode and might now be removed entirely from GCC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, it was very convenient for bootstraping OpenJDK/IcedTea.

Comment

Yes, for all its warts, it builds IcedTea much faster than IcedTea builds itself. On the other hand, it isn't capable of building IcedTea 3 (Java 8). I know IcedTea are considering JamVM as a possible alternative for bootstrapping but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Comment

Am I correct in thinking that GCJ compiles Java source code to native machine code, and provides its own independently created implementations of all of the Java APIs? In which case, isn't it exactly like Google's Davlik from a legal perspective?

Except that GCJ was first created back in 1999, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
          Am I correct in thinking that GCJ compiles Java source code to native machine code, and provides its own independently created implementations of all of the Java APIs? In which case, isn't it exactly like Google's Davlik from a legal perspective?

Dalvik wasnt googles i think and they discontinued it for ART. But the concept of ART is the same i believe. And dalvik was a slow JVM not like gcj. ART is more like it.

Comment

Dalvik was a VM, a poor one.
            And I see what you're getting at but API reimplementation is protected under fair use. Oracle v. Google is just what happens when you have companies throwing around billions of dollars in legal expenses over nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
              Well, it was very convenient for bootstraping OpenJDK/IcedTea.
              Wow, I never knew someone actually used GCJ!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Wow, I never knew someone actually used GCJ!
                people who use some linux distro years ago, before openjdk 6/7 becomes a real thing

Comment

No, it is open source and hasn't relicensed any headers.

Comment

I used GCJ on Gentoo to compile everything that used Java, never benchmarked it though, it certainly died a death when OpenJDK was announced

Comment

Working...
                    X