Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU 1.1.1 X.Org Driver Released, Radeon 7.7.1 DDX Too

Phoronix: AMDGPU 1.1.1 X.Org Driver Released, Radeon 7.7.1 DDX Too

Today marks the release of the infrequent updates to the xf86-video-amdgpu and xf86-video-ati X.Org display drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, so looks like bridgman still hasn't renamed xf86-video-amdgpu to xf86-video-atigpu (as per the request in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...crocode/page21 ) .

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post
      Hmm, so looks like bridgman still hasn't renamed xf86-video-amdgpu to xf86-video-atigpu (as per the request in https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...crocode/page21 ) .
      Lol, bridgman is not the marketing department, I assure you that, I know a few people in marketing and they're not going to do this. AMD is a more recognizable name realistically speaking.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Why not to use the modesetting driver?
        Everybody should use the driver which works best for them.

Both xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-amdgpu are "legacy drivers".
        According to whom? modesetting can most likely never replace xf86-video-ati, because glamor doesn't work with the older GPUs supported by the latter. Moreover, modesetting still lacks features such as TearFree compared to our drivers. For those and other reasons, we recommend using our Xorg drivers with our GPUs.

Comment

Why not to use the modesetting driver? Both xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-amdgpu are "legacy drivers".
          The AMD developers (incl. bridgman ) say otherwise, see:

"Ditching xf86-video-amdgpu in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"

"Ditching xf86-video-ati in favor of xf86-video-modesetting?"

Code:
          sudo grep _drv /proc/$(pidof X)/smaps
          What is the output? Can't check at the moment.

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
          we recommend using our Xorg drivers with our GPUs.
          Are you also an AMD employee like bridgman ?

Comment

Originally posted by pq1930562 View Post
            Are you also an AMD employee like bridgman ?
            If you mean MrCooper, then yes he is (and his knowledge of X is one or two orders of magnitude better than mine).
            Test signature

Comment

I don't have a rule to understand how xf86-video-{ati,amdgpu} could compete with the universal modesetting driver in the following years.
              Then why do you say they are legacy drivers?

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              If you mean MrCooper, then yes he is (and his knowledge of X is one or two orders of magnitude better than mine).
              Ah, okay, so then maybe MrCooper would be the go-to-person for asking to rename xf86-video-amdgpu to xf86-video-atigpu and to make AMD use the ATI brand again ?

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              Lol, bridgman is not the marketing department, I assure you that, I know a few people in marketing.
              You know people of AMD's marketing department? Or marketing people in general?

and they're not going to do this.
              Why? Believe!

AMD is a more recognizable name realistically speaking.
              Wrong.

Comment

I have strong feeling that if i setup original Radeon 7500 + Athlon XP again using this that would still work by magnitute faster/better then RPi's VC4 driver

Comment

Because I can think of a rule causing modesetting to outperform xf86-video-{ati,amdgpu}.
                  Rule of as soon as i start modesetting i can see a picture of what i last watched on youtube
                  Or rule that modesetting list impossible resolutions... it somehow select proper, but as soon as go out of X monitor complain out of range
                  No idea where it is faster?

While this ddx just works properly

Comment

If AMD and Intel are not contributing to xf86-video-modesetting but instead are insisting to brew their own soup, then xf86-video-modesetting probably is not going to outperform nor outcompete anything.

By the way, what really sucks about xf86-video-modesetting, is, that it is now part of xorg-server. If you want to upgrade xf86-video-modesetting, you need to upgrade the entire xorg-server.

And that does not work for Ubuntu for example, since nobody offers updates to xorg-server for Ubuntu.

oibaf already said that he will not update xorg-server with his PPA, see:

Comment

Working...
                    X