Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo N21 Chromebook Now Has Mainline Coreboot Support

Phoronix: Lenovo N21 Chromebook Now Has Mainline Coreboot Support

The Lenovo N21 Chromebook is now supported by mainline Coreboot. But then again that's not a huge surprise considering Google's focus on Chromebook/Chromebox support in Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does coreboot support automatically means that I can run Linux on that Chromebook? some Chromebooks are not Linux (other than Gentoo based Chrome OS) friendly from what I learned

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
      does coreboot support automatically means that I can run Linux on that Chromebook? some Chromebooks are not Linux (other than Gentoo based Chrome OS) friendly from what I learned
      In many cases you need to find out something else to unlock them and flash coreboot or just change the current boot firmware's settings (still a coreboot I think).
      Quite a few have a hardware writing protection switch that you must disable by opening the whole damn thing and removing a screw making a contact.

But apart from that, most seem to be supported in normal Linux distros, but you may need to work a bit to get everything working. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ces/Chromebook

Afaik there are ubuntu derivatives customized to fully support chromebooks out of the box, but I never tried. https://galliumos.org/

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        Well according the Arch Linux wiki:

The availability of SeaBIOS does not promise device compatibility for Linux or that the pre-installed SeaBIOS works properly. Before purchasing a device visit its page on the ArchWiki and look for Linux users' posts about that model.

Comment

Working...
        X