Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macOS 10.12 Sierra vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Linux Benchmarking

Phoronix: macOS 10.12 Sierra vs. Ubuntu 16.04 Linux Benchmarking

Apple released macOS 10.12 "Sierra" last week as the successor to OS X El Capitan. Given this annual update to macOS / OS X, here are benchmarks of macOS Sierra compared to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on a MacBook Air and Mac Mini computers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least windows can usually keep up or even win numerous tests. This crap? You're really just paying for a logo.

Comment

Kind of sad when Apple performs worse on their own hardware.

Comment

I like it how Apple likes to advertise OSX as the most advanced OS in the world yet gets regularly trashed by Linux on their own hardware, but that is marketing and target audience believes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
          I like it how Apple likes to advertise OSX as the most advanced OS in the world yet gets regularly trashed by Linux on their own hardware, but that is marketing and target audience believes it.
          Actually it gets trashed by both Linux and Windows as a matter of course on it's own hardware, and probably FreeBSD too although it's never included in these benches. The reality is "muh tightly defined and restricted hardware optimization magic" just simply doesn't exist no matter if it comes from the mouths of Apple Fanboys or Console Fanboys.

Comment

dont uninstall ubuntu just yet, maybe you can do a benchmark of the new upcoming deux ex game comparing metal on macOS vs openGL on ubuntu.
            Related to just opengl, seems to be than on ubuntu it performs better based on the last benchmark.

Comment

linux >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mac os, even on apple's computers
              cant stop laughing, although i expected it

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                dont uninstall ubuntu just yet, maybe you can do a benchmark of the new upcoming deux ex game comparing metal on macOS vs openGL on ubuntu.
                Related to just opengl, seems to be than on ubuntu it performs better based on the last benchmark.
                now than i remember, it needs a very good hardware, and yours seems to be intel. I would have edited my comment but its for 'premium only'

Comment

Overall, the performance of macOS Sierra and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS were relatively close on these two Apple systems.
                  Aw Michael you're so modest, truth is Ubuntu was way ahead on most benchmarks but there were one offs where MacOS was ahead (and curiously so). These overpriced turds literally just barely make the cut to compete with free software in terms of quality and performance...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Actually it gets trashed by both Linux and Windows as a matter of course on it's own hardware, and probably FreeBSD too although it's never included in these benches. The reality is "muh tightly defined and restricted hardware optimization magic" just simply doesn't exist no matter if it comes from the mouths of Apple Fanboys or Console Fanboys.
                    It did exist at one point. When Apple was still making their own processors it was a real thing. But now they don't seem to know what the fuck they're doing.

Comment

Working...
                    X