FreeBSD 11.0 Comes Up Short In Ubuntu 16.04 vs. macOS Sierra Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 11.0 Comes Up Short In Ubuntu 16.04 vs. macOS Sierra Benchmarks

Phoronix: FreeBSD 11.0 Comes Up Short In Ubuntu 16.04 vs. macOS Sierra Benchmarks

Yesterday I published some macOS 10.2 vs. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS benchmarks from a Mac Mini and MacBook Air systems. For those curious if BSDs can outperform macOS Sierra on Apple hardware, I tested the MacBook Air with FreeBSD 11.0 compared to the Linux and macOS results on that Core i5 system. Here are those results.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/...er/001753.html it's not released yet

Comment

One presumes Michael knows how to set consistent compiler optimization flags. Any chance macOS has a zfs driver similar to FreeBSD's?

Comment

It'd be interesting to see how Windows compares.

Comment

Since this wasn't release, most likely the benchmarks are bogus...... Freebsd has all the debugging turned on in kernel which seriously slows everything to a crawl. Was that taken into account?

Comment

Interesting comparison - I just wish there'd been a few more tests performed.

rockworldmi / javan: 11 was released, although it wasn't announced as such. The final version is likely to provide identical results, the only difference will be a few security fixes.

I've been playing with FBSD and the other BSDs quite a lot recently. I'm going to be running FBSD 11 on my home NAS simply because ZFS support is more mature on FBSD than Linux. I cannot recommend any of the BSDs for anything other than server based tasks and for licensing zealots. Out of the BSDs, FreeBSD is the nearest to being usable as a desktop OS but its a far cry from Linux. Forget about having MTP, a decent GUI network manager, modern games and music production software - its devs are simply not interested in multimedia a desktop stuff beyond getting their browsers to work and I don't see that changing any time soon. Linux isn't perfect but at least it can do most modern computing tasks if you know what you're doing.

Saying that, I'm very glad we do have the BSDs as I don't want a UNIX/OS monoculture but I can't see anything stealing Linux's lunch as the leading desktop alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by javan View Post
              Since this wasn't release, most likely the benchmarks are bogus...... Freebsd has all the debugging turned on in kernel which seriously slows everything to a crawl. Was that taken into account?
              It's all disabled at the RC stage. Tested was the original -RELEASE images that do have the debugging turned off.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Glad to see that the Linux kernel definitly beats the Apple stolen Unix OS on its own hardware!

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                  Glad to see that the Linux kernel definitly beats the Apple stolen Unix OS on its own hardware!
                  Hard to see what's stolen. Seems NeXT and then Apple have used BSD for precisely its intended purpose. In the "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" dept, Linux is just an also-ran.

Comment

I feel sorry for faithfull BSD users. They're being treated like fools by bsd developers who are nothing more, but companies paid assholes. It seems they have no intetion in trying to compete against closed crap like os x. Do one thing good and crapple will take it from you. All this license bullshit is nothing, but hipocrysy. Bsd license is against Open Source and against BSD operating systems. Where would os x be without the bsd part? Nowhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X