Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Khronos, Mesa, Standards & Conformance / Certification: Open Source, Open Standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos, Mesa, Standards & Conformance / Certification: Open Source, Open Standards

Phoronix: Khronos, Mesa, Standards & Conformance / Certification: Open Source, Open Standards

The past week or two in our forums and elsewhere there's been a lot of comments about Khronos' conformance testing for OpenGL 4.4/4.5 with the Mesa drivers finally reaching that point, concern over Khronos' fees being prohibitive for open-source projects (particularly in cases like Nouveau where it's community driven without a main corporate backer), and some FUD related to this matter. I've now received some clarification from The Khronos Group to lay these concerns to rest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you for the detailed explanation!
    I didn't expect it to be an issue, since I haven't read any mesa dev raise it, but it's good to have confirmation.

Comment

Yeah, it is not an issue since i965 enable is today

There was a concern about it among devs too, but cool it was not an issue actually

Comment

Nice, good to hear!

Comment

Thanks for doing the research, Michael.

Comment

It's good news, but I'm gonna nitpick a bit and say that statement mentions "any open source organization" and it's not clear (to me, at least) whether nouveau developers are covered by that. They probably are, but that statement can be read either way.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              It's good news, but I'm gonna nitpick a bit and say that statement mentions "any open source organization" and it's not clear (to me, at least) whether nouveau developers are covered by that. They probably are, but that statement can be read either way.
              Nouveau can be covered. If Nouveau developers aren't in contact with Khronos (it sounds like they specifically aren't at this time) they can contact Khronos or if they have problems getting it figured out, Neil said to have me refer them to him and he can get it going straight
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Nouveau can be covered. If Nouveau developers aren't in contact with Khronos
                nouveau is already covered. nouveau developers employed by redhat already have access to cts

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Nouveau can be covered. If Nouveau developers aren't in contact with Khronos (it sounds like they specifically aren't at this time) they can contact Khronos or if they have problems getting it figured out, Neil said to have me refer them to him and he can get it going straight
                  That wont do, because Nouveau is no legal entity. So either ever single nouveau dev has to get a valid "contract" and discuss it seperatly with khronos or a legal entity does this, like the Xorg foundation.

Anyway, we are already discussing what would be the best step. We need a solution we can actually rely on, legally.

So there will be some action from our side, but I dont know what it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    nouveau is already covered. nouveau developers employed by redhat already have access to cts
                    *developer. it is one,​​ and this helps how? Not a tiny bit. Even if red hat had accrss to it, no other dev would be allowed to use it.

And that means nouveau isnt covered.

Comment

Working...
                    X