Linux 3.9 To Linux 4.9 Kernel Benchmarks: Testing The 21 Last Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.9 To Linux 4.9 Kernel Benchmarks: Testing The 21 Last Kernels

Phoronix: Linux 3.9 To Linux 4.9 Kernel Benchmarks: Testing The 21 Last Kernels

With the in-development Linux 4.9 kernel showing signs of some performance improvements, I've gone ahead and tested the last 21 major kernel releases on the same system. From Linux 3.9 to Linux 4.9, each of the major kernel releases was tested from the same Intel Core i7 desktop with a variety of benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks MadCatX for the tip to make this article possible.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hasn't Intel improved their drivers at all? Only a few FPS more :T

I didn't know their graphics chip was so bad. Seeing that most people use it on Steam, I thought it was able to play CSGO with at +60FPS on FullHD.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
        Hasn't Intel improved their drivers at all? Only a few FPS more :T

I didn't know their graphics chip was so bad. Seeing that most people use it on Steam, I thought it was able to play CSGO with at +60FPS on FullHD.
        Most of the 3D improvements come from their user-space Mesa driver that was maintained the same during testing of this kernel comparison.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Most of the 3D improvements come from their user-space Mesa driver that was maintained the same during testing of this kernel comparison.
          Oh, I see. Thanks. I'll look for a Mesa comparison on Intel chips.

Comment

Thanks for these benchmarks, 4.9 looks great. Looking forward to the power consumption results.

Comment

Nice! Like comparisons of 2 distant versions, to see has software improved or degraded its performance after ~3 years. Man! testing all 21 versions, good that it was automated. xD.

Comment

4.9 looks great, apart from the last 2 pages.

Comment

Anyone able to comment on PostreSQL result?
                  Is it a problem with previous kernels giving fake results or is there any technical reason (schedulers, etc)?

Comment

You probably covered this in the article and I missed it, but was a kernel compiled for each version, or did you grab them from Ubuntu's repository? If they were downloaded, do you know if they were compiled using the same flags and whatnot?

Comment

Working...
                    X