Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUS1 Kernel Message Bus Posted For Review

Phoronix: BUS1 Kernel Message Bus Posted For Review

David Herrmann has posted the initial patches for review of the BUS1 kernel message bus, the successor to KDBUS as an in-kernel IPC mechanism...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good new. But there is one problem with BUS1, and Linus doesn't want it in this state.
    See http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...0.3/03030.html.

Comment

Originally posted by Xorg View Post
      Good new. But there is one problem with BUS1, and Linus doesn't want it in this state.
      See http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...0.3/03030.html.
      Like what bofh80 said, Linus just asked about a concern. He didn't say "ermagerd dis bad, fam!" or anything dramatic.
      He actually got a pretty thorough answer to his question too, see http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/k...0.3/03081.html

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80

uhm nope. Linus actually said:

"You may well have solved this, but can you describe what the solution
        is without forcing people to read the code and try to analyze it?"

-points for linking to a post you didn't bother reading.....
        Yes, sorry. That just sometimes, it's difficult to me to find my words in english. This is not my mother tongue.
        I apologize.

Comment

i hear veteram unix admins cry

Comment

veterans unix admins need to read he Unix hater's handbook. At the end of the day a good worksman can use a a tool no matter how bad it is. The fact that people got around without ACLs doesn't mean that Unix security was not deficient.

Comment

This shit has no business being in the kernel, linux kernel has enough bugs in it... why do so many linux developers want to reinvent the wheel? was perfectly round already.
              That's one thing I love about FreeBSD, this shit would never be allowed to happen or be considered. Linus needs to go back to telling more people off, he's getting soft these days.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                veterans unix admins need to read he Unix hater's handbook. At the end of the day a good worksman can use a a tool no matter how bad it is. The fact that people got around without ACLs doesn't mean that Unix security was not deficient.
                Veteran unix admins need to get to the real world, where they will learn that not everyone has the slightest interest in being an unix admin. Many people want to run Linux on desktops and laptops just to get on with whatever they want to do, whether it's kernel development, web design, 3d modelling, writing, playing, reading email etc. They want a system that works and that doesn't HAVE to be administered. They don't care about Unix administration and have more pressing (and, quite frankly, far more interesting) things to do with their computers.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  here we go :-) that is a nice example of a systemd heckler being "constructive", right?

Originally posted by AdamW View Post

look, if you're not going to be constructive, just be quiet.

We don't know yet for sure precisely what triggers the bug. The systemd-logind thing is a theory that we haven't actually confirmed yet. But yes, if that turns out to be the cause, this would be approximately 50% a systemd bug (and 50% an Xorg bug). I hope that makes you super happy.
                  you are welcome: http://i.imgur.com/wj0JGz8.jpg

Comment

i'll wait and see how the review turns out, at least this is handled way better than kdbus shove request (calling it a pull request would be a poor joke) was.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    and why would they cry about that? if anything, their time to cry was when dbus appeared. know any veteran admins that heavily rely on dbus ?

Comment

Working...
                    X