Power Consumption & Efficiency Of The Linux Kernel For The Last Three Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Consumption & Efficiency Of The Linux Kernel For The Last Three Years

Phoronix: Power Consumption & Efficiency Of The Linux Kernel For The Last Three Years

Earlier this week I published Linux 3.9 through Linux 4.9 kernel benchmarks looking at the raw performance of various subsystems when testing each of the major kernel releases as far back as this Core i7 Haswell system was supported. From that same system, today is a look at testing the kernels going back to Linux 3.11 when Haswell graphics support was first in good shape for this Core i7 4790K box while looking at the raw power consumption and performance-per-Watt for these 19 major kernel releases.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very interresting, ty Michael. I did not expect so many difference between kernels!

Clearly some of them are bad (3.14) but in the end there are mixed results,depending of the use, with a global improvement.

Comment

An idle system consumption can be interesting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post
        An idle system consumption can be interesting as well.
        I have idle numbers will be posting shortly.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I have idle numbers will be posting shortly.
          Thanks I'm far more interested in these. Low power consumption under full load would be more worrying to me than higher numbers. When under full load, I don't want my system going into power saving states.

Comment

Nice touch with the "Meta performance per watt" to sum it all up.

Comment

Working...
            X