X Input 2.1 Smooth / High Resolution Scrolling Now Supported By Chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X Input 2.1 Smooth / High Resolution Scrolling Now Supported By Chrome

Phoronix: X Input 2.1 Smooth / High Resolution Scrolling Now Supported By Chrome

With the latest Chrome/Chromium browser builds from Google, X Input 2.1 smooth scrolling / high-resolution scrolling is now supported. This should make for a more responsive and smoother scrolling experience atop recent versions of the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox uses GTK3 by default since some time I think: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/f...lable-download

(however you still need export MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1 in your .xsessionrc)
    Last edited by ernstp; 28 October 2016, 07:49 AM.

Comment

I'm confused, did GTK2 not support smooth scrolling? I remember solving this problem for Firefox 3.5 in 2011 with a plugin, might have been this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...oth-scrolling/

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        I'm confused, did GTK2 not support smooth scrolling? I remember solving this problem for Firefox 3.5 in 2011 with a plugin, might have been this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...oth-scrolling/
        Smooth scrolling is that when you scroll your scroll wheel one unit there is an animation that scrolls the page exactly three lines.
        XInput2 pixel perfect scrolling works with modern laptop touchpads for example, where you can scroll exactly 1 pixel if you're careful

Comment

On my Fedora 24, since Firefox is officially on GTK3, my menus are black and white although I'm using the default Adwaita theme:

I doesn't look at all like the smooth Ubuntu screenshot in OMGUbuntu...

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
            On my Fedora 24, since Firefox is officially on GTK3, my menus are black and white although I'm using the default Adwaita theme:

I doesn't look at all like the smooth Ubuntu screenshot in OMGUbuntu...
            Uhm... that's how Adwaita looks! All standard context menus look like that with Adwaita.

Comment

This is a simple thing I'd been annoyed by for a while that does make the Chrome/Chromium experience a lot nicer. Never really expected to see this but quite glad it happened!

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Uhm... that's how Adwaita looks! All standard context menus look like that with Adwaita.
                In the other GTK3 apps like Nautilus, the separators are light gray, not plain black. And I also have this on other Firefox widgets like the URL bar and the search bar.

Comment

Heh, it has been working for a long time in QtWebEngine even in 5.6 with the Chromium 45 backend.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post

In the other GTK3 apps like Nautilus, the separators are light gray, not plain black. And I also have this on other Firefox widgets like the URL bar and the search bar.
                    Is the adwaita theme enabled in Firefox?

Comment

Working...
                    X