Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Encouraging Users To Switch To Modesetting X.Org Driver

Phoronix: Freedreno Encouraging Users To Switch To Modesetting X.Org Driver

The days of the xf86-video-freedreno DDX driver are numbered, at least for end-user relevance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am probably missing something here. I could understand why people might want to use a generic, well coded driver, over a possibly poorly implemented one. Though I can't for the life of me see the modesetting driver be remotely close in features and performance to the intel driver. Just clone the damn thing from git master and who cares about the official releases being non-existent. Is anyone playing steam games on modesetting? Because I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      Though I can't for the life of me see the modesetting driver be remotely close in features and performance to the intel driver. Just clone the damn thing from git master and who cares about the official releases being non-existent. Is anyone playing steam games on modesetting? Because I doubt it.
      lol, who is playing steam games on intel ?
      this is not something which bothers users. it bothers distributions. and distributions prefer to maintain one driver instead of dozens

Comment

I am probably missing something here. I could understand why people might want to use a generic, well coded driver, over a possibly poorly implemented one. Though I can't for the life of me see the modesetting driver be remotely close in features and performance to the intel driver. Just clone the damn thing from git master and who cares about the official releases being non-existent. Is anyone playing steam games on modesetting? Because I doubt it.
        I am...
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

I recently reverted to the intel driver (as an intel user). the modesetting driver started exhibiting the same issues the intel driver has, and then more, in the last release.
          the intel driver is also much, much faster. you notice when you switch back how much snappier it is. not even close. when switching *to* modesetting i hadnt realized how much of a difference it makes...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            lol, who is playing steam games on intel ?
            this is not something which bothers users. it bothers distributions. and distributions prefer to maintain one driver instead of dozens
            i play steam games on intel ddx, what's bad about it?

Comment

Ubuntu 16.10 uses it instead of intel ddx. And look what happens: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...buntu-SUSE-CLR

Comment

Color me wrong I guess modesetting is quite capable. Cool. I'll have to do some digging to understand how, if it took intels own devs half a decade to get decent performance on their own driver.

Comment

Is anyone playing steam games on modesetting? Because I doubt it.
                  FYI: xf86-video-stuff drivers are for 2D acceleration, not 3D (which is through Mesa/Gallium).

Modesetting driver runs accelerated 2D doing OpenGL calls (i.e. offloading on Mesa/Gallium drivers and then on 3D hardware), and is generally recognized as The Way Forward by most driver developers (AMD/Noveau and then also Freedreno) and many distros apparently.

Comment

I get it now. Duh. I guess the code is all stuffed into mesa's libgl? Sorry I haven't been on Linux in a while.

Comment

Working...
                    X