Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Benchmarks On Budgie, GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma 5, LXDE, MATE, Unity, Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Benchmarks On Budgie, GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma 5, LXDE, MATE, Unity, Xfce

Phoronix: RadeonSI Benchmarks On Budgie, GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma 5, LXDE, MATE, Unity, Xfce

Last month when Ubuntu 16.10 was released I ran some desktop gaming benchmarks with Intel Skylake graphics under Unity, GNOME, Xfce, LXDE, KDE, Openbox, and MATE. Following that article a few Phoronix Premium readers requested similar tests be done under the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver stack, so here are those numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just the other day debianxfce was telling me that Kubuntu is the most bloated OS with the slowest DE on top. Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Comment

I only play in a (new) empty X server with some environment variables set (like vblank_mode=0). :>

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Just the other day debianxfce was telling me that Kubuntu is the most bloated OS with the slowest DE on top. Tsk, tsk, tsk...
        Linux people usually keep bad experience for ever.. They read "kubuntu", think "its KDE", remember to KDE 4.0 from 10 years ago and "hell, it's buggy and bloatware!"
        Want some other examples?
        AMD (Ati!) -> Bad drivers
        GNOME3 -> Bad desktop
        Rolling Release -> To hard for newbs
        Windows -> BSOF everyday
        f2fs -> to young and unstable
        btrfs -> broken
        blablabla

Comment

Of course it is!! Look how it gets stomped by XFCE by 0.5 FPS in like, half the tests, while in the other half, eh, uh ....

never mind...

Comment

Debian + XFCE is likely much more bloated and """slow""" than Arch or Gentoo + XFCE. And at least, we don't get antique packages with one major security issue every two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
              Debian + XFCE is likely much more bloated and """slow""" than Arch or Gentoo + XFCE. And at least, we don't get antique packages with one major security issue every two weeks.
              You didn't... The wrath of debianxfce will soon be upon you, heed my words.

Comment

Lxqt!

Comment

Interesting how KDE no longer is the worst performer. Not that I'm complaining, obviously.

Comment

I've been using Kubuntu 16.04 with backports PPA for awhile and with an Nvidia graphics card it works fantastic. It is a premium experience on Linux for sure. Extreme customization along with ease of usage. I do think on Ubuntu Discover is crap and hardly works though. Also the calculator is not very good. Install Qalculate. It is much better and actually has a square root function.

Comment

Working...
                    X