NVIDIA vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Comparison For Holidays 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Comparison For Holidays 2016

Phoronix: NVIDIA vs. AMDGPU-PRO vs. RadeonSI OpenGL Comparison For Holidays 2016

If you are planning to upgrade your graphics card in a Linux system this holiday season, here are some fresh benchmarks of several different AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards with various Linux gaming tests under Ubuntu. The AMD tests were done both with the latest RadeonSI Gallium3D stack as well as the AMDGPU-PRO hybrid driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Quite a complete comparison !

It looks like AMD closed vs open are quite similar with last stack, except on a few games (Deus Ex better, ET legacy on closed, Metro Last Light, Tesseract on open).
    For NVidia you test mostly recent middle and high end cards. Except for the Fury, the performance of the cards seem to match the ratio of the performance on windows for most of the tests.

Comment

I still think the open source AMD stack looks impressive as hell. And in the future when Vulkan titles start to proliferate the difference between nVidia's driver performance and AMD's driver performance will vanish. Until then AMD's OpenGL performance just needs to achieve "good enough" status. And AMD has been pretty decent at reaching that status fairly quickly after new games launch.

Comment

amd dedicated desktop gpu, now are really good, open source driver are amazing.
        it's a pity that mobile APU performance are really bad, seems that they are optimizing only for desktop GPU and not for mobile hardware

Comment

If I'm a 1080p gamer and want to game at 60fps, then this article suggests to me I have a decent choice of GPUs from both manufacturers.

Comment

Fantastic, just the review I could wish for. One conclusion is that unless you want to play Deus Ex now, then open source is what you want on AMD. Who would have thought that just a year ago? The RX480 is a little cheaper than the 1060 tested, so even compared to the nvidia blob, radeonsi is starting to score wins. It will be *very* exiting to follow nvidia blob vs. radeonsi in 2017 :-)

Comment

What happened here with amdgpu-pro?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                What happened here with amdgpu-pro?

the normal, a really bad work by devs, what hell Amd give from amd gpu pro from once

Comment

Originally posted by Dea1993 View Post
                  amd dedicated desktop gpu, now are really good, open source driver are amazing.
                  You either have a funny definition of "really good" and "amazing" or you can't see the green bars

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You either have a funny definition of "really good" and "amazing" or you can't see the green bars
                    i was talking about performance difference between today and years ago.
                    AMD is working very good and the open source driver is good, nvidia has better performance, but AMD is improved a lot

Comment

Working...
                    X