Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzing OpenGL Shaders Can Lead To Some Wild Results

Phoronix: Fuzzing OpenGL Shaders Can Lead To Some Wild Results

Alastair Donaldson at the Imperial College London has been working on testing OpenGL shader compilers across vendors and operating systems with OpenGL shader fuzzing and has been finding some surprising -- and sometimes comical -- results. The results so far are interesting and show how some small code changes can cause big problems for some OpenGL shader compilers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Had anyone found a source code of this tool?

Comment

I'd like to note that the worm/slug webgl test is also rendered like crap on an Intel HD4000 here on OpenSUSE leap 42.2 (kernel 4.4). Fun times ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
        It doesn't seem to be any available. But I could see such a tool being useful in automated/regression testing. It may be time for a new OSS project?

Comment

Originally posted by yurikoles View Post
          They detail some of the logic of their fuzzer in their (preliminary) paper, they are basically taking OpenGL snippets from default testing and adding code on that shader source depending on their algorithms.

Their tester program is basically a text manipulation tool, if they disclose the logic behind it anyone can use it in their OSS fuzzers.

Comment

If the past is anything to go by, the chances of AMD fixing all of these issues is a tad slim and them getting the fix released publicly in less than four-six months would be a miracle.

For what it's worth, that TDR/BSOD is experienced by PCSX2, PPSSPP and Dolphin (I believe Dolphin recently added a workaround for AMD). These sort of issues aren't uncommon with AMD and at this point Linux's open source OpenGL is more stable than Windows/-PRO and similar in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
              If the past is anything to go by, the chances of most GPU manufacturers fixing all of these issues is a tad slim and them getting the fix released publicly in less than four-six months would be a miracle.

For what it's worth, that TDR/BSOD is experienced by PCSX2, PPSSPP and Dolphin (I believe Dolphin recently added a workaround for AMD). These sort of issues aren't uncommon in general and at this point Linux's open source OpenGL is more stable than Windows/-PRO and similar in performance.
              Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Fixed.
                I wouldn't have stated that if it were like most GPU manufacturers; AMD is pretty lackluster when it comes to support for their OpenGL driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                  I wouldn't have stated that if it were like most GPU manufacturers; AMD is pretty lackluster when it comes to support for their OpenGL driver.
                  I wouldn't have fixed if it wasn't bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    I wouldn't have fixed if it wasn't bullshit.
                    Have you bothered to follow AMD's OpenGL driver over the years? They like to introduce bugs and it takes several months for them to release a fix, it took them how many months to fully support OpenGL 4.5?, performance leaves a bit to be desired. OpenGL has always been a sore spot for AMD, I don't know what rock you've been living under.

Comment

Working...
                    X