Linux 4.10-rc1 Kernel Released As A Christmas Present From Torvalds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.10-rc1 Kernel Released As A Christmas Present From Torvalds

Phoronix: Linux 4.10-rc1 Kernel Released As A Christmas Present From Torvalds

The merge window is over and the first release candidate to Linux 4.10 is now available for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone have some first-hand experience how good the GCN 1.0 support is with 4.10 together with AMDGPU-PRO?
    The one time I tried 4.9 with AMDGPU-PRO on my 280X, some Wine games crashed after a couple of minutes and some native steam games outright refused to launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post
      Does anyone have some first-hand experience how good the GCN 1.0 support is with 4.10 together with AMDGPU-PRO?
      The one time I tried 4.9 with AMDGPU-PRO on my 280X, some Wine games crashed after a couple of minutes and some native steam games outright refused to launch.
      I'm testing it right now, I will let you know in the next couple of days.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Does everyone clearly understand that 4.9 or 4.10 with AMDGPU-PRO is not a supported combination, that the AMDGPU-PRO kernel driver will fail to install, and that the upstream kernel does not include all of the functionality required for the closed-source userspace drivers ? Just checking...

The AMDGPU-PRO kernel driver will not normally install/function on a 4.8-or-higher kernel, so if you are talking about a configuration like that please make it clear whether you are using the upstream kernel or a hacked version of the AMDGPU-PRO kernel.

I like it when you try combinations like this, just worry about unsuspecting users thinking they are supported (or expected to work) and running into problems.
        Last edited by bridgman; 26 December 2016, 08:56 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Does everyone clearly understand that 4.9 or 4.10 with AMDGPU-PRO is not a supported combination, that the AMDGPU-PRO kernel driver will fail to install, and that the upstream kernel does not include all of the functionality required for the closed-source userspace drivers ? Just checking...

The AMDGPU-PRO kernel driver will not normally install/function on a 4.8-or-higher kernel, so if you are talking about a configuration like that please make it clear whether you are using the upstream kernel or a hacked version of the AMDGPU-PRO kernel.

I like it when you try combinations like this, just worry about unsuspecting users thinking they are supported (or expected to work) and running into problems.
          I will make everything clear, don't worry. I can already anticipate that performance with 4.10 is not satisfying with every workload, but I managed to get it up to 400% faster.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Lm-sensors (3.4 in Debian Unstable) is not reading my coretemp or nct6775 modules for my Z170, although the modules themselves appear to be loading according to /proc/modules.

Comment

Originally posted by DonQ View Post
              Lm-sensors (3.4 in Debian Unstable) is not reading my coretemp or nct6775 modules for my Z170, although the modules themselves appear to be loading according to /proc/modules.
              Yes, "sensors" isn't working for me either. More fundamentally. "rdmsr" isn't working. It works fine with kernel 4.9, and I have switched back and forth between kernel 4.9 and 4.10-RC1 several times now. In an attempt to avoid it, I'm searching for any information before I begin a kernel bisection.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmythies View Post
                Yes, "sensors" isn't working for me either. More fundamentally. "rdmsr" isn't working. It works fine with kernel 4.9, and I have switched back and forth between kernel 4.9 and 4.10-RC1 several times now. In an attempt to avoid it, I'm searching for any information before I begin a kernel bisection.
                The guilty commit is:
                Code:
                dc280d93623927570da279e99393879dbbab39e7 is the first bad commit
                commit dc280d93623927570da279e99393879dbbab39e7
                Author: Thomas Gleixner <[email protected]>
                Date:   Wed Dec 21 20:19:49 2016 +0100

cpu/hotplug: Prevent overwriting of callbacks
                And it was fixed almost right away. So, if I include the next 3 commits after the 4.10-rc1 tag, then everything is O.K.
                Code:
                0dad3a3 x86/mce/AMD: Make the init code more robust
                b9d9d69 smp/hotplug: Undo tglxs brainfart
                b4b8664 arm64: don't pull uaccess.h into *.S
                7ce7d89 Linux 4.10-rc1

Comment

Originally posted by dsmythies View Post
                  On the plus side, my amdgpu sensor now also reads fan speeds.

Comment

Working...
                  X