Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome 4.0 Window Manager Released

Phoronix: Awesome 4.0 Window Manager Released

Yet another open-source project pushing out a big release for the holidays is the Awesome Window Manager Framework. Awesome 4.0 was released today with some big changes for this open-source X11/X.Org window manager and incorporates about four years of changes since Awesome 3.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland support would have been awesome! I like the easy automatic positioning of the windows!

Comment

Originally posted by jayaura View Post
      Wayland support would have been awesome! I like the easy automatic positioning of the windows!
      i3-compatible Wayland compositor. Contribute to swaywm/sway development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Awesome! That makes me want to update and go back to my Gentoo installation. Except for the incompatibility between Firefox and Cairo with xcb support. Firefox just crashes.

Comment

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1136417,

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            Awesome and i3 have pretty different workflows even though they are both tiling WMs. Awesome is more oriented around its tag system, while i3 is oriented around tabbing and stacking. I converted to i3 from Awesome like three years ago, and I think sway is pretty good for i3 users.

Comment

Cool! I use AWM on Gentoo right now. Though I never used Lua configs beyond wallpaper change ^^. Just use it for light-weight-ness and boarderless windows, more compact and efficient multitasking. Great use of windows key. But tilling is eh, Ratpoision with modified AWM-like keys, has tiling to my liking. All that's left is to learn lua, and try configure AWM, haven't done that for ~3 years? eh maybe 7 years later...

Comment

Is this the project whose maintainer was trying to forbid people from patching his code, even though it was open source? IIRC, people wanted font anti-aliasing but the maintainer didn't like anti-aliasing and tried to prevent everyone from patching-in support for it, because he couldn't stand the fact that others didn't share his taste. It was hilarious.

Or am I thinking of something else here?

Comment

Is this the project whose maintainer was trying to forbid people from patching his code, even though it was open source?
                  No, that's ion3 and that was the end of it. AwesomeWM then got most of its users.

Comment

Working...
                  X