Steam Linux Client Beta Adds Idle Detection, Updated Vulkan Loader & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Client Beta Adds Idle Detection, Updated Vulkan Loader & More

Phoronix: Steam Linux Client Beta Adds Idle Detection, Updated Vulkan Loader & More

Valve pushed out an updated Steam Linux client beta today that includes some useful changes for Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome albeit overdue.

Hopefully it shuts off BP's GPU usage when the system idles/screen turns off. Can anyone confirm that?

SteamOS's prior (hopefully fixed now) burned energy just sitting on idle.

Comment

Finally!

Comment

About time, Volvo.

Comment

and for the first time in 12 years, it's easy to use steam on linux

Comment

That's all great.

Currently I have debian with openbox running on an htpc.
            Openbox logs in under user and autoloads Kodi and Steam.
            I have used Kodi shutdown timer with action of suspend after 120 minutes.
            However this can suspend during Steam games (streamed) if I'm not careful.
            I think I should probably install xscreensaver or lightlocker? or similar like my laptop and stop using Kodi's shutdown timer function.
            I wonder if Kodi playing music/movie or Steam gaming will inhibit systemd idle. Anyone know?
            I should just test it out.

Comment

I've been running without the STEAM_RUNTIME set for years now, and I've rarely had issues

Comment

I still need to load the system libstdc++.so with ld_preload when using the steam runtime. Is this working for someone with mesa drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                  I still need to load the system libstdc++.so with ld_preload when using the steam runtime. Is this working for someone with mesa drivers?
                  Are you using the *beta* client? Just to make sure. It's working for me.

Does anyone have some details regarding the way they allowed the system libraries to be prioritized?

Comment

Works out of the box with Mesa compiled with GCC6 here.

Comment

Working...
                    X