Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora vs. Ubuntu vs. openSUSE vs. Clear Linux For Intel Steam Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora vs. Ubuntu vs. openSUSE vs. Clear Linux For Intel Steam Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Fedora vs. Ubuntu vs. openSUSE vs. Clear Linux For Intel Steam Gaming Performance

With this week Clear Linux now being able to run Steam, I was excited to see how this performance-minded Linux distribution out of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center would compare to other more popular Linux distributions when it comes to Intel Linux gaming performance. Here are some benchmarks of this traditionally workstation/server-oriented Intel Linux distribution running some Steam Linux games.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that is a hell of a result for Clear Linux. Now I kinda want to try it on my Broadwell-Y laptop.

Comment

Have Clear linux devs addressed the concerns that many of their optimizations are not upstreamable? I don't think it's a problem exactly, they can do what they want. It just doesn't make any sense to do all this development without trying to leverage it across the broader OSS community.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Have Clear linux devs addressed the concerns that many of their optimizations are not upstreamable? I don't think it's a problem exactly, they can do what they want. It just doesn't make any sense to do all this development without trying to leverage it across the broader OSS community.
        I'm sorry but you make a statement that something is not upstreamable ... based on what????
        We're upstreaming things all the time, and as part of that process, sometimes code changes, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

I'm sorry but you make a statement that something is not upstreamable ... based on what????
          We're upstreaming things all the time, and as part of that process, sometimes code changes, sure.
          Thank you for correcting a false assumption

Please keep up the good work and hopefully other distros can pick up some of the work you are doing

Comment

Great stuff.
            hopefully the other major distros are watching and learning.

Comment

One issue I have with Clear Linux as a desktop is that the bundle system makes it hard to install a bunch of stuff (you have to create bundles yourself, basically)
              Love the concepts though.

It would be interesting to bench against a similarly up-to-date distro like Arch Linux.

Comment

Not sure to understand why my comments are almost always deleted. Nothing inflammatory, or even controversial. Wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
                  Not sure to understand why my comments are almost always deleted. Nothing inflammatory, or even controversial. Wtf?
                  They aren't being deleted or anything, just sometimes the forum software spam filter acts up and puts it in moderation queue.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by balouba View Post
                    One issue I have with Clear Linux as a desktop is that the bundle system makes it hard to install a bunch of stuff (you have to create bundles yourself, basically)
                    Love the concepts though.

It would be interesting to bench against a similarly up-to-date distro like Arch Linux.
                    also if you miss things, please let us know, we can normally add things quickly

Comment

Working...
                    X