Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Linux OpenCL Performance vs. Radeon ROCm / AMDGPU-PRO

Phoronix: NVIDIA Linux OpenCL Performance vs. Radeon ROCm / AMDGPU-PRO

Earlier this week I posted some benchmarks of GPUOpen's new Radeon Open Compute ROCm OpenCL stack that premiered last month and they are working to make completely open-source. In those initial benchmarks I compared the ROCm 1.4 OpenCL performance to the existing AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL implementation on Linux. For those wondering how these two Radeon OpenCL stacks compare to NVIDIA, here are some fresh benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Umm... typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    All of these OpenCL benchmarks were facilitated in a fulyl-automated and reproducible manner
    Fulyl-automation? Awesome...

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    THe AMDGPU-PRO driver

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Umm... typos:

Fulyl-automation? Awesome...
      Fixed, thanks. Bad headache right now :/
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Fixed, thanks. Bad headache right now :/
        I hope you feel better soon. Take a break from Phoronix if needed

Comment

Interesting that in this test, some ROCm results are closer to or better than the results of AMDGPU-Pro

Maybe the Pro version have some optimizations to the workloads where it is way better than ROCm?

Comment

Michael, would be nice to see "value for money" comparison, for all the people, who are keeping saying NVIDIA is the clear winner. If I compare prices, I see that AMD is the winner by far. That a 200$ card is probably not as fast as one for 600$ is clear, however, comparing in the same price segment NVIDIA doesn't look good, regardless if it's AMDGPU-PRO or not PRO. Ok, let's stay fair, Fury would look bad in such test

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
              Interesting that in this test, some ROCm results are closer to or better than the results of AMDGPU-Pro
              And some are far worse... no idea what to make of these results.

Comment

Hm, I thought Nvidia were gimping OpenCL to push CUDA instead. And yet, with only OpenCL 1.2 support, they're pretty competitive with AMD's OpenCL 2.0 solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post

And some are far worse... no idea what to make of these results.
                  Yes, very inconsistent results across the spectrum. Right now there's no real best-buy if OpenCL computing is your thing.

Comment

Michael, there are some indications that the opencL-numbers could be a lot better on some nvidia-cards with changed configuration. Try to set opencl_memory_headroom from 300 to 600 (for example, maybe less or more) in darktablerc-file.

Comment

Working...
                    X