Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Kabylake: Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL Performance

Phoronix: Intel Kabylake: Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL Performance

For those curious about the current Kabylake graphics performance between Windows 10 and Linux, here are some OpenGL benchmark results under each operating system. Windows 10 Pro x64 was tested and the Linux distributions for comparison were Ubuntu 16.10, Clear Linux, Antergos, Fedora 25 Xfce, and openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And Linux lost again. I'm tired of you, Intel, and Microsoft.

Little typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Windows 10 continued holding its ground with high quality settings on this system under XOnotic.​​​​​​

Comment

Sad, but hardly surprising. Anything "end-user" centric is going to perform better with Windows. Sound, graphics, games, spreadsheets, image editing.

If Microsoft started beating Linux in server-centric tasks then I'd start worrying.

Comment

And as always performance of Intel Graphics should be measured in frames per hour.

Comment

Nice comparison results

People can ignore Xonotic (especially low show biggest issue), that has sound issue on linux.. Maybe Michael should try to boot with disabled sound driver and benchmark just that again to see how much real no sound against faked disabled sound bite CPU and fps there
          Last edited by dungeon; 20 January 2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Sound doesn't bite anything nowadays.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Sound doesn't bite anything nowadays.
              It can bite when you have bugs either in app or in sound sybsytem As usual when you have bugs, you and your OS looks something like this So when user ask "Please how i can fix this" and we answer "Who cares, you are quilty... because you don't know how to avoid bugs"

Disable sound driver on Linux and uninstall sound driver on Windows, then run Xonotic benchmark again and see for yourelf Someone might think GPU driver is less optimized, but in this case actually it is not the main reason... most fps diff goes away because of sound diff.

It uses plain alsa there, not openal or so... where we can claim equality of some sort.
              Last edited by dungeon; 20 January 2017, 02:14 PM.

Comment

20% slower in Furmark shaders seems pretty bad. Fix whatever is causing that, and the rest of the results will probably follow.

Comment

Thats quite a difference. It would be interesting how the performance has developed over the years to see whether linux is catching up significantly compared to windows performance.

Comment

I'm a Windows guy, but even I do think that these benchmarks are ridicuolous. Of course Windows will reign supreme right after release. Give Linux a few months and the gap will be much narrower.

Comment

Working...
                    X