Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueOS Making Use Of OpenRC Init System, Faster Boot Times

Phoronix: TrueOS Making Use Of OpenRC Init System, Faster Boot Times

For those still looking to escape systemd, the BSDs remain free and the FreeBSD-based TrueOS is currently working on making use of OpenRC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to read more distributions (BSD/Linux) are supporting OpenRC. And always good to have an alternative.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Yes yes yes! The only reason i hate systemd, is because people force it, like pulseaudio.

And simple-ish scripts are nice and simple to use:
      /etc/init.d/samba start

Comment

I've always wanted to see a boot speed benchmark of different Linux distributions. Searched the whole Internet but couldn't find it.

Comment

Wow, GIANT flamebait.

That said, I like how TrueOS is going so far. Making plenty of good choices.

Comment

I really think Linux users should have choice and choosing the init system that works best for them. Why is systemd being rammed down our collective throats? As I use Debian, I feel that Debian devs should build packages that don't strictly have systemd as a dependency. On first install why not allow Debian users to select what init system they want? I liked the old standby, the SysV init system...and things aren't really bloated. Systemd seems to be taking over

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              I really think Linux users should have choice and choosing the init system that works best for them. Why is systemd being rammed down our collective throats? As I use Debian, I feel that Debian devs should build packages that don't strictly have systemd as a dependency. On first install why not allow Debian users to select what init system they want? I liked the old standby, the SysV init system...and things aren't really bloated. Systemd seems to be taking over
              Seems like thats the whole point of systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Why is systemd being rammed down our collective throats? As I use Debian...
                There are variants of Debian that don’t use systemd, for those who really feel allergic to it. There’s no reason for you to feel threatened by the popularity of something. Linux is all about choice.

Comment

Nice. While I've come to like systemd specifically, I'd now certainly be more inclined to give TrueOS another go. Back when it was PC-BSD I used it for a while, but fled back to Linux (Ubuntu at the time) once I realized I couldn't do anything about the far longer boot time!

Comment

Linux should be all about choice, but currently isn't, e.g. Debian has locked themselves into systemd. Fortunately there exists a fork of Debian: Devuan. Please check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X