Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgie Desktop To Begin Decoupling From GNOME, Will Use Qt

Phoronix: Budgie Desktop To Begin Decoupling From GNOME, Will Use Qt

The Solus desktop environment has delivered innovations on a number of fronts, including its work on the Budgie desktop that has a growing following. While Budgie Desktop started off as being based upon GNOME, now the developers are working to decouple from GNOME and begin making use of the Qt tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure why they don't just target the latest GTK LTS...? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

Comment

Isn't exactly a lot of confidence in GTK anymore, meanwhile Qt goes from strength to strength.

Comment

I always ask myself, why RHEL does not employee this guy? Ikey really likes reinventing things around.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          I always ask myself, why RHEL does not employee this guy? Ikey really likes reinventing things around.
          I'm reinventing by using an existing, better toolkit? Great logic there.

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post
            I'm reinventing by using an existing, better toolkit? Great logic there.
            Redesign is reinvent also, whatever... all that is development.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Redesign is reinvent also, whatever... all that is development.
              Evolution is also a thing. Addressing architectural weaknesses, also a thing. Just like off-the-cuff remarks, also a thing.

Comment

Not really to surprised. I seem to remember gnome being against having stable apis for others to use...
                If I remember right... isn't that why lxde become lxqt as well? (ditto... https://subsurface-divelog.org/, wireshark, and OpenShot)

Comment

I've tried using Qt a few times but I can't get attached to QML. Also find the C++ entry a little confusing (hard to tell what's being deprecated sometimes as well). I tend to end up using weird libraries like libiup which rely on GTK+. Distribution is also a lot more simple on Windows since it uses native widgets.

That said, on a platform that comes with Qt, distribution isn't a problem. It's also probably relatively easy to use if you're familiar with it already. I've always wondered if it's really that big of a deal though.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    I seem to remember gnome being against having stable apis [...]
                    That's rediculous, that's like saying mc donalds is against eating food.

Comment

Working...
                    X