Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's Open-Source Driver Stack Now OpenGL 4.5 Certified, Complements Vulkan & GLES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Open-Source Driver Stack Now OpenGL 4.5 Certified, Complements Vulkan & GLES

Phoronix: Intel's Open-Source Driver Stack Now OpenGL 4.5 Certified, Complements Vulkan & GLES

Intel's open-source Mesa DRI driver has passed The Khronos Group's process for certifying it as a conformant OpenGL 4.5 implementation. This now rounds out the Intel open-source Linux stack with OpenGL 4.5, OpenGL ES 3.2, and Vulkan 1.0 certification...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For which generations does this certification apply? I doubt that Haswell is also certified. The article at 01.org mentions "latest three generations of Intel® Core™ processors" so I guess it's Broadwell+

Comment

Originally posted by blubbaer View Post
      For which generations does this certification apply? I doubt that Haswell is also certified. The article at 01.org mentions "latest three generations of Intel® Core™ processors" so I guess it's Broadwell+
      Yes, Broadwell+ AFAIK
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Great news

Comment

This is awesome and wonderful!
          But I don't understand one thing...
          If Intel's driver is open source, what's with the binary blobs?
          I mean I like graphic features like OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan, but if it comes with spyware, I'm better off without.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I mean I like graphic features like OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan, but if it comes with spyware, I'm better off without.
            AFAIK the binary blobs are for interfacing the driver with the hardware itself, and they handle some very low level functions. They contain stuff that is particular to each processor's architecture. And I may very well be very wrong about this, but I remember reading about it some years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              The binary blobs are things that don't run on the CPU, but rather directly on their hardware.

Think of it like your computers BIOS. That's likely not open source on your machine even if you are running an open source OS like linux, and it provides some very low-level hardware specific things.

Comment

Couldn't that be a llvm compiler target?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

The binary blobs are things that don't run on the CPU, but rather directly on their hardware.

Think of it like your computers BIOS. That's likely not open source on your machine even if you are running an open source OS like linux, and it provides some very low-level hardware specific things.
                  nar, I got a opensource BIOS also sorry <g>

Comment

This is a *huge* deal for the graphics subsystem of modern GNU/Linux ! All things considered, graphics is now 'fixed' on Linux, next up fixup the audio sub/eco-system(s) so it is competitive at the professional level :|

Comment

Working...
                    X