Intel Core i3 2100 Sandy Bridge vs. Core i3 7100 Kabylake Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i3 2100 Sandy Bridge vs. Core i3 7100 Kabylake Performance

Phoronix: Intel Core i3 2100 Sandy Bridge vs. Core i3 7100 Kabylake Performance

At the end of January I published my initial Core i3 7100 Linux benchmarks while for those still on older Sandy Bridge hardware and thinking of upgrading to a Core i3 Kabylake, here are some interesting comparative benchmarks. For these weekend tests are raw performance and performance-per-Watt metrics for the Core i3 2100 Sandy Bridge to the Core i3 7100 Kabylake processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nope, my i3-2120 is going to stay with me for another while. When the time will come for us to be parted its gonna be for some more cores.

Comment

DDR4 seems make some difference

Comment

Nice comparison, Michael.

A small favour to ask: if it's not too much of a bother, could you run the same tests on a pair of higher-end processors (i7 or i5) that were similarly priced at launch?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post
          Nice comparison, Michael.

A small favour to ask: if it's not too much of a bother, could you run the same tests on a pair of higher-end processors (i7 or i5) that were similarly priced at launch?
          Unfortunately I have no direct matches there, closest would be 4770k vs. 7770K but I think I did that in a test already. but don't have any other matching high end from like Sandy to Kaby
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mlau

and Turbo has also improved a lot.
            These i3 models don't use turbo.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Unfortunately I have no direct matches there, closest would be 4770k vs. 7770K but I think I did that in a test already. but don't have any other matching high end from like Sandy to Kaby
              You're right. If anyone else is interested, the Google search on Phoronix doesn't find it but it's here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0k-linux&num=1 .

Comment

Thanks, Michael! Would be good to see some comparisons with AMD's offerings at similar price points, especially with Ryzen once it's available (obviously not expecting you can do that test for another month from now ).

Comment

I have an I3 2120 and agree with norsetto's earlier comment that more cores is the preferred upgrade path. For many people, I suspect the graphics improvement with the 7100 is almost meaningless for people who are into graphics, as they will be using a good graphics card. I will hold out to see what a low-end AMD Ryzen processor looks like, if that is not a good option, then I may look at prices for used quad-core Sandy Bridge processors. The 7100 with the price of a new motherboard and new memory does not look like a big enough jump for the overall cost.

Comment

I find this interesting and useful. I'm going to be building a TV Headend server sometime soon and since it will be an always-on box, I want it to be able to idle efficiently, but be able to transcode video at a decent speed. It seems that the newer generations of Intel CPU would really help here.

Comment

Working...
                    X