Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor Engineering Hopes To Bring OpenBMC To An ASUS Motherboard

Phoronix: Raptor Engineering Hopes To Bring OpenBMC To An ASUS Motherboard

While Reaptor Engineering was unsuccessful with their Talos Secure Workstation effort to build a high-end, libre POWER8 workstation, they are now backing a more realistic effort: opening the Baseboard Management Controller of an ASUS server motherboard still on the market...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You should honestly double check spelling before posting. Reaptor? :P I think you meant Raptor

Comment

Originally posted by TheCanadianBacon View Post
      You should honestly double check spelling before posting. Reaptor? :P I think you meant Raptor
      It's fixed now in the article. I do check spelling and such, but particularly early in morning (before coffee kicks in @ 6:00 on a Sunday morning) and late at night, it's usually less than effective. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I want OpenBMC on my H8SCM-F, but looks like OpenBMC currently has support only for Aspeed BMC controllers. =/

Comment

Why this fixation on expensive server boards? Why not start small with a good cheap desktop board and, when they build a good community around it, target the big boards.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Why this fixation on expensive server boards? Why not start small with a good cheap desktop board and, when they build a good community around it, target the big boards.
            Cheap desktop board with BMC controller?

Comment

move in the right direction. i'm awaiting crowdfunding for some x370 mb

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                They are making a OpenBMC firmware, a firmware for the "lights-out management" or "out of band management" or "hardware backdoor working for you" that allows you to control the system remotely even if it is turned off, reboot to change BIOS settings, connect USB or CD drives remotely, and so on.

So yeah, they must target a board that has such device in the first place.

That device allows you to do what you would need an external KVM device for, for example a rasky (whenever the guy releases this) https://www.nexlab.net/product/rasky/

Comment

this could be good for amd . ryzen look alright. feature some enterprise motherboards with openbmc and naples 32 core cpu. that could promote their hold in datacenters. people havent had a decent entrprise offering from amd in a while. if Amd wants a bite at Intel server market hold. going with openbmc and naples could be a good move. Opensource server mgmt eases automation.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    T

That device allows you to do what you would need an external KVM device for, for example a rasky (whenever the guy releases this) https://www.nexlab.net/product/rasky/
                    Sadly the bad results of the crowdfunding campaign has forced me to be really in late with rasky, but i will release it during 2017, promised

Comment

Working...
                    X