Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12 Looking At Dropping SVR4 Binary Compatibility

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12 Looking At Dropping SVR4 Binary Compatibility

FreeBSD has long had a SVR4 (System V Release 4) compatibility layer, but FreeBSD 12 will likely do away with this support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The guy said the sockets are broken since "decades", which imho conveys a longer time than "a number of years".

Comment

Will it affect OpenSolaris compatibility layer in any way?

Comment

I'd say this is a similar situation to when the Linux kernel dropped support for the original Pentiums; even if there are people still using them, they're probably not using the latest kernels anyway since they either won't benefit from any of the changes, or the performance would be too crappy. In the situation of anyone using SVR4 binaries, it's probably because it's an old system that the organization just can't afford to retire and/or upgrade. That implies that the OS these binaries are running on is just as old as the binaries themselves, in which case, losing this compatibility doesn't matter. And yes, obviously there could be exceptions, so spare me any nit-picky comments. But if you're using the latest version of FreeBSD with a 20+ year-old binary, I don't think that user has solid priorities.

In the unlikely event a modern FreeBSD user needs one of these binaries, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal to install an older version of FreeBSD. Use a container or VM if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          when the Linux kernel dropped support for the original Pentiums
          Are you sure about this? I think all x86 that Linux kernel has dropped is 386. All Pentiums are still supported. I don't know, if there are any users, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
            Are you sure about this? I think all x86 that Linux kernel has dropped is 386. All Pentiums are still supported. I don't know, if there are any users, though.
            Ah whoops, you're right. Doesn't really change my point though.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
              Just curious. What Solaris binaries are you trying to run on your FreeBSD system?

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

Just curious. What Solaris binaries are you trying to run on your FreeBSD system?
                There is a "OpenSolaris" kernel module shim to help load the ZFS kernel module, but that's about the only thing Solaris related that's in modern use. I highly doubt it has any ties to the SysV stuff at all and there is no OpenSolaris binary support that I'm aware of.

Comment

The original idea for this was for users and organisations to adopt *BSD (OpenBSD and NetBSD also have this compatibility layer) and still be able to run their old proprietary SVR4 software from their old SunOS/Solaris/Xenix/etc server. This was added around year 2000, long before software virtualisation รก la Virtualbox and VmWare was widely used.

If the compatibility layer indeed hasn't been working for years, and no one noticed it, I'd say it's about time to retire and remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    I'd say no. Besides, it seems not functional since a long time, so if OpenSolaris compatibility works fine then you have your answer.

Comment

Working...
                    X