Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Has Been Accepted For The 2017 Google Summer of Code

Phoronix: X.Org Has Been Accepted For The 2017 Google Summer of Code

The X.Org Foundation has been once again accepted as a mentoring organization for this year's Google Summer of Code. Yes, the X.Org involvement in GSoC isn't limited to just the xorg-server but also covers Mesa, Wayland, and other involvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Never applying for Google's summer of code is probably my biggest regret from the time I was still a student...

When I finally got the confidence to apply I first spent a summer working on-site for a local government orgiansation, then doing my master's project for said organisation and then the final summer I spent the time that would have gone to writing my application getting my thesis finished (my university is properly anal about language) and getting the paperwork done for getting my master's papers.

Comment

I want a X.Org compiled with a minimal attack surface with functionality only necessary to support XWayland.
      Or a legacy-free X.Org and if that means old GTK+ 1, Qt 3, Motif and Athena application don't work, then so be it.

I hope the next version have less lines of code than the current version.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
        Never applying for Google's summer of code is probably my biggest regret from the time I was still a student...

When I finally got the confidence to apply I first spent a summer working on-site for a local government orgiansation, then doing my master's project for said organisation and then the final summer I spent the time that would have gone to writing my application getting my thesis finished (my university is properly anal about language) and getting the paperwork done for getting my master's papers.
        Don't beat yourself too hard over this. There are so many opportunities in programming, you'll miss a lot over your lifetime. You could be a student all your life, doing nothing but learning and you'll still miss out.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I want a X.Org compiled with a minimal attack surface with functionality only necessary to support XWayland.
          Or a legacy-free X.Org and if that means old GTK+ 1, Qt 3, Motif and Athena application don't work, then so be it.

GTK+ 1.x, Motif, and Athena, I can understand... but I still use various Trinity Desktop Environment (Qt 3.x) versions of applications because the KDE 4 versions are buggy or replaced with other applications less suited to my purposes.

(eg. BasKet Note Pads for KDE 4 refuses to run when I load up my massive pile of data which works fine in the KDE3 and TDE versions and I haven't yet had time to replace it with the more generalized "hierarchical views into acyclic directed graphs of tags" tool I've envisioned.)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

then do a gsoc project for this

Comment

Working...
            X