Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen CPU Core Scaling Performance

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen CPU Core Scaling Performance

Curious how Ryzen scales across its CPU cores and SMT? Here are some Ubuntu Linux benchmarks testing a Ryzen 7 1700 with different core/thread counts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have an idea: We test any Software with any hardware-configuration with any compiler flags, make a huge bib out of it and if a user wants to use a certain program, it takes the data from the bib and we are good. The only thing missing is a name for the bib... what about "Reoptimizeraptor Pro", the ultimate toolbox to frag your enemies and let them eat the dust. Maximum gaming performance. Order now and get a flashy UI for free!

Sponsored by lazy ports that gave this product a reason for its existence.

/s

Comment

The Dota 2 Vulkan numbers are really strange. SMT aside, 4-0 is slower than 3-0 and 2-0. This doesn't seem to make sense. And all cores enabled is the slowest result of all? I'm not sure the explanation would be SMT, in this case.

Comment

At least where SMT works, its amazing how well it scales

Comment

Hello Michael, would you consider doing a benchmark run with the 4+0 setting and overclocked, to simulate the closest equivalency to a i7 7700k?

Comment

I heard about a magic BIOS update that helps gaming performance at least on Windows. Michael: could you try updating your BIOS to see if it shows any substantial difference? It probably depends on MOBO so even if some manufacturers improved Ryzen performance with a firmware update it might not be so for your MSI board, but might be worth trying.

Comment

I just looked up a previous test comparing i5 and i7 CPUs. The i7 always had faster frame rates, except with Dota 2 Vulkan, sometimes the i5 had faster frame rates. That doesn't seem to make sense either.

Comment

My guess is that there is some optimization to be done on BIOS/Chipsets and probably some ISA fuckups that can hopefully be fixed with runtime patches.

Performance aside, that MotherBoard looks skookum as frig! I wannu buy one and just lay it over my kitchen table as a centerpiece!

Comment

Michael, don't test the games in 4K... or at least don't just test them at that resolution. The best would be 1080 and 720 to push the CPU to the max.

Btw, did you update your BIOS?

Comment

Michael, you wrote "...Unfortunately it doesn't have an option for exposing eight cores without SMT (some Ryzen boards do offer an option to just outright disable SMT, but doesn't appear to be exposed with this current MSI BIOS) nor does it offer a "6 + 0" option....": This isn't possible because the 8 core Ryzen die consists of two 4 core parts (CCX). 6+0 would mean that the first CCX should have 6 of its 4 cores active, which isn't possible.
                    Last edited by BlackArchon; 04 March 2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X