RadeonSI's Mesa Shader Cache Can Be A Big Help To Modern Linux Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI's Mesa Shader Cache Can Be A Big Help To Modern Linux Games

Phoronix: RadeonSI's Mesa Shader Cache Can Be A Big Help To Modern Linux Games

With the rest of the RadeonSI shader cache support landing in Mesa, I have carried out some benchmarks to measure the impact of this on-disk GLSL shader cache not only for the performance of games but also the reduced load-times.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Those are some very encouraging results. Decreased load times for a few titles, higher fps for a few titles, and no discernible penalty on any.

Comment

This is great to see further confirmation of the performance (FPS and load times) improvements from this feature.

Comment

Great article Michael and congratulations to Timothy Arceri for the awesome work.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Shader cache should also reduce hitching/stuttering. Might be worth investigating this with frametimes since also the opposite can occur when it doesn't work right.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysk View Post
            This is great to see further confirmation of the performance (FPS and load times) improvements from this feature.
            there is no fps improvements from this feature. it is seen on benchmark only because benchmark is short and restarts game. if you don't restart game, you will see no fps improvements during play after first shader loads.
            if you want to see fps improvements, you should pay attention to this:
            22:51 mareko: threaded gallium has exceeded my expectations

Comment

Great article, Michael.
              It's not often you see unambiguously null to positive results for new features.

Comment

It seems that with Mesa 17.1 I finally can start the Trine trilogy on PC without a all time load up time of 5-10 minutes (no joke)

Comment

Originally posted by Linux_Chemist
                  Since it doesn't matter about keeping the cache across reboots, right?
                  It does matter, it is disk cache as point is to keep cache there . Otherwise you will lose it and first app run will be again caching procedure so slow.

Whatever, it is optional so do it how you like but driver even beside this disk cache already do cache in ram, so what you trying to do really has no point
                  Last edited by dungeon; 04 March 2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    there is no fps improvements from this feature. it is seen on benchmark only because benchmark is short and restarts game. if you don't restart game, you will see no fps improvements during play after first shader loads.
                    if you want to see fps improvements, you should pay attention to this:
                    22:51 mareko: threaded gallium has exceeded my expectations
                    Mostly true but this brings us inline with the closed drivers, if framerates are reported as higher in the benchmarks we may see closer results with those drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X