Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Well Modern Linux Games Scale To Multiple CPU Cores

Phoronix: How Well Modern Linux Games Scale To Multiple CPU Cores

With all the discussions about AMD's Ryzen 7 processors that boast eight cores plus SMT, there has been much discussion in our forums and elsewhere the past few days about how many cores most modern Linux games actually utilize... That plus with looking at how well Ryzen's CPU cores scale, I have carried out some fresh Linux CPU core scaling benchmarks with an Intel Core i7 6800K Broadwell-E to see if most Linux games can end up using 4+ cores right now.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

so everytime i said i5 with best single core performance is best for gaming i was correct. nice.

Comment

Quite shocking how bad the scaling of even modern games (escp. Talos!) is.
      I guess the "fast enough" mindset when developing commercial games is dominant - most games are GPU limited anyway and quad core CPUs are dominant right now - so not a lot manpower is used to optimize any further.

So AMD was right when telling the world the games were the issue with Ryzen-7.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        so everytime i said i5 with best single core performance is best for gaming i was correct. nice.
        However, no one actually does ONLY gaming. Especially linux users.

Ryzen has decent, while not the best single core performance. Still, decent. This means that unlike Bulldozer-type crap, you can buy this for other stuff and still play games at an acceptable frame rate.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

However, no one actually does ONLY gaming. Especially linux users.

Ryzen has decent, while not the best single core performance. Still, decent. This means that unlike Bulldozer-type crap, you can buy this for other stuff and still play games at an acceptable frame rate.
          true most people run a browser or word besides gaming. Most poeple dont need anything better than i5.

Comment

Thanks for these tests, Michael. I'm thinking some normal desktop background processes, like a few browser tabs + misc. application(s), would tip these tests in favor of the 6 cores, though. A 1 core would definitely not survive 😛

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

true most people run a browser or word besides gaming. Most poeple dont need anything better than i5.
              Agreed. But I think the point eydee was making - which I agree with - is that if you get a Ryzen 7 instead of an i5 you won't suffer much in game performance. That's not true if you got an FX-8350 instead of an i5.

Comment

Originally posted by Xicronic View Post
                Thanks for these tests, Michael. I'm thinking some normal desktop background processes, like a few browser tabs + misc. application(s), would tip these tests in favor of the 6 cores, though. A 1 core would definitely not survive 😛
                According to steam survey 1 core CPUs still make large percentage of 1.93% in compatison to just 0.75% of Linux userbase

As on that survey people have 2 core and 4 core CPU near equal, but we will see how 6/8 cores would be bumped in a year or so... even if i don't believe in large jump as R5/R3 will appear with less cores also and majorty will buy these... so maybe in in 3 years or so, 8 cores number might became having meangful percentage there

Just making joke of these statistic, even if i do believe it is like that on average
                Last edited by dungeon; 06 March 2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Doing these kinds of benchmarks at resolutions like 1440p with high quality settings? Michael you do realize that unless you're using really low end CPUs these are essentially GPU bound scenarios? While being rather unrealistic, most CPU benchmarks for games are run at 1080p or below with low quality settings specifically to make sure that the games are CPU and not GPU bound during testing. I'd recommend that you re-do these tests at 720p and low settings to see how well they scale when they're properly CPU bound.

Comment

So i7-7700K is the best when users ONLY playing games.

Comment

Working...
                    X