No announcement yet.

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: Core i7 7700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: Core i7 7700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti: Core i7 7700K vs. Ryzen 7 1800X Linux Gaming Performance

Since last week's tests of the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, a number of Phoronix readers have requested tests of this high-end GP102 graphics card to be done under both the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X and Core i7 7700K. Here are those OpenGL and Vulkan gaming results for those looking at high-end Linux gaming performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So what happened with Tomb Raider 2013? Are they optimize it for future CPU or something

Comment

Basically Ryzen still has Bios Issues, missing optimizations and so on. The MSI Mainboards Michael seems to be using also got bad credits for performance so far. Let's wait for the industry to provide fixed software and let this mature a bit. In 2 month time it will be worth taking another look into the very fresh ryzen plattform.

Comment

Strange, even for Ryzen gaming performance, those results were terrible. There is no way it should be doing this bad (as the Tomb Raider results portray). I'm excited to see the future of Zen in general - I see a lot of potential once the bugs are kinked.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 12 March 2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Strange, even for Ryzen gaming performance, those results were terrible. There is no way it should be doing this bad. I'm excited to see the future of Zen in general - I see a lot of potential once the bugs are kinked.
          Exactly, even Ryzen's pure single thread performance isn't bad enough to explain these results. Somethings else may be going wrong. And, on the other side, it shouldn't be that much better with Tomb Raider 4K either. So this potential problem may be effecting the 7700K side as well.

Comment

Perhaps check the results with 16.04 LTS, or another distribution?

Comment

Tomb Raider is indeed an outlier - and this is not new. On my old Phenom II X6 Tomb Raider already did exceptionally well. It honestly seems just to be a very well optimized game, that can actually make use of multiple cores. I think it's safe to say that no other game with this looks runs hardware as modest.

All tested source engine titles on the other hand will never run as well on a Ryzen 8-core as they do on Kaby Lake 4-cores. Those engines don't scale beyond 2 cores at all (in fact, you can disable one core on a dual-core and see a performance drop less than 50%, I tested that on my Core2Duo). No matter how much the Ryzen ecosystem will improve, I'm fairly certain we'll never see any Source performance improvements - except the next single-core IPC gain, and maybe a better scheme to turn off cores and clock higher on 2 cores.

That said, I set up my new Ryzen machine yesterday, and everything's going as expected. Compiling performance is roughly 3 times that of my 4 GHz Phenom II X6, linux stuff is generally running smoothly, but it is very clear, that this is a bleeding edge platform, and there are many issues left to resolve. Mainly the board firmwares are still pretty terrible. I Updated from the shipped EFI to the latest one, which cause idle temperatures to rise by 20 degrees and voltages jumping around. Others reported the same problems on this board, and similar problems on others.
              There's a lot to fix, a lot of optimization (which is totally non-existent at this point) to come, and a lot of improvements to be made on all fronts. Especially on 3rd party software. Especially on Intel-Only optimized games.

Comment

1800x's competitor is 6900k, why compare with unrelated overclocked 4 core?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  Strange, even for Ryzen gaming performance, those results were terrible. There is no way it should be doing this bad
                  basically thats due to intels far better turbo, it goes almost 1 ghz above base clock, which is already 600 mhz above zens on the 7700, for heavy single core users. maybe michael can redo those benchmarks with turbo disabled and performance governor set?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
                    basically thats due to intels far better turbo, it goes almost 1 ghz above base clock, which is already 600 mhz above zens on the 7700, for heavy single core users. maybe michael can redo those benchmarks with turbo disabled and performance governor set?
                    Performance governor was set for both CPUs as shown by the system table on first page.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X