Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Is Exploring The Use Of Coreboot, At Least Internally

Phoronix: Dell Is Exploring The Use Of Coreboot, At Least Internally

Dell appears to be using Coreboot on some of their modern Intel Atom motherboards paired with the Intel FSP and TianoCore...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you're using Coreboot, can you upgrade your hardare, such as graphics card, disk controller, etc, without issue?

Comment

They also use coreboot on Chromebooks if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Please do it Dell, your BIOS really sucks and gave me tons of troubles with Linux. It would be awesome!
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I would love to see Coreboot support in their Dell XPS developer laptop running Ubuntu. This would really make their offering more attractive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            If you're using Coreboot, can you upgrade your hardare, such as graphics card, disk controller, etc, without issue?
            I don't have hands-on experience with that but it probably depends on what exactly you're changing. There are things that might not be neccessary for the sheer boot process and the kernel (or even "later" instances of SW) can deal with it.
            In the beginning Coreboot is not even aware of memory and runs on CPU registers and maybe later CPU cache, then memory detection is done and so on, so I guess GPU and storage comes much later. I also guess they use some "default" methods to print a message to the screen, like 80x25 text mode which should work nearly driverless with any GPU. Also storage might work with some ancient compatibility modes, you only need to detect the bootloader for the next step.
            But you might want to ask that question on a coreboot mailing list for a more qualified answer.

On topic: I hope people will implement Coreboot and libre versions of it, especially also on the consumer level. Lockdowns and UEFI just hurt.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would love to see Coreboot support in their Dell XPS developer laptop running Ubuntu. This would really make their offering more attractive to me.
              Why on earth is the dev. laptop 300.- more expensive than the windows version...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Please do it Dell, your BIOS really sucks and gave me tons of troubles with Linux. It would be awesome!
                Wait what? - He says, as he types on ArchLinux running pretty awesomely on a Dell M4800.. (I have some kind of config borkage that borks sleep atm)

Comment

Do you want to know whats really bad ass? Team Win Recovery Project. Its basicly a FOSS bios for android devices.

Do you know what would be really bad ass? If we had something like TWRP for the x86 PC.

Think about it

coreboot + seabios + tianocore + decent configuration UI.

Comment

I wish Asus motherboards would use Coreboot. But the problem is also having open UEFI palyload. The later is a mess.
                    Last edited by shmerl; 23 March 2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X