Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Sam Fusion 2017 Is Working Out Well For RADV Vulkan

Phoronix: Serious Sam Fusion 2017 Is Working Out Well For RADV Vulkan

This week marked the roll out of Serious Sam Fusion 2017 into public beta first up with Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and soon to be followed-up by The Second Encounter and Serious Sam: BFE. The Fusion 2017 update is interesting as it brings these classics Vulkan support, 64-bit only, and other engine improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I did try it on my AMD Bonaire Chip (R7 360) and if i switch to Vulkan the Game hangs up and a core dump is sent to Steam ... I try it on my other AMD GPU i have and write in ....

Same Software Installation only Hardware Difference (AMD Athlon X4 860K vs. AMD FX-8320E) and (Bonaire XTX R7 360 vs. Curacao Pro R9 270) one X4&R7 360 did not Work and FX&R9 270 did not...

Ok maybe GCN1 Works vs GCN2 not? Why ever ...

Last edited by Ground0; 23 March 2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Good news.
      I'm wondering how AMD's Vulkan driver will turn out. I have little clue about Vulkan, but this RadV seems to be performant and maybe it's also soon feature complete. If it renders without issues - what will be left for AMD's contribution?
      I guess time (or one of the representatives) will tell.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Out of curiosity, see if the benchmark runs on NV's Vulkan Developer Beta driver branch. VR people are reporting Fusion running fine in Linux, and obviously we're all using the VDB drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
          Out of curiosity, see if the benchmark runs on NV's Vulkan Developer Beta driver branch. VR people are reporting Fusion running fine in Linux, and obviously we're all using the VDB drivers.
          Yeah I got it working already on the beta driver after talking with Croteam about it. I'll have some NVIDIA Vulkan comparison numbers tomorrow or so.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Good news.
            I'm wondering how AMD's Vulkan driver will turn out. I have little clue about Vulkan, but this RadV seems to be performant and maybe it's also soon feature complete. If it renders without issues - what will be left for AMD's contribution?
            I guess time (or one of the representatives) will tell.
            RadV is not performant. It's the slowest vulkan driver around. There is work to be done on performance. But heading in the right direction... For now amdgpu pro as well as the NVidia proprietary driver are faster.

Comment

We are yet to see a single solid proof that Vulkan is faster than OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                We are yet to see a single solid proof that Vulkan is faster than OpenGL.
                I'm not sure what you mean, it's been shown a few times in benchmarks that Vulkan can be faster for the proprietary drivers (depends on the game implementation). Unfortunately the two opensource vulkan drivers have yet to see that benefit from what I see. As well, there are technical benefits to Vulkan, not just speed benefits.

Comment

There has also been a lot of effort put into performance for Mesa GL but much less for radv. It's probably fair to think about radv as being where radeonsi was a year or two ago w.r.t. performance actual vs potential.
                  Test signature

Comment

OGL perf = Vulkan perf. CPU bottleneck in Mesa?

BTW, the PTS system summary in the article lists the 7700k as a 8-core CPU. Whatever it uses to fetch the info from is as buggy as Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X