Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrossOver 16.2 Released, Supports Microsoft Outlook 2013 On Linux

Phoronix: CrossOver 16.2 Released, Supports Microsoft Outlook 2013 On Linux

CodeWeavers has announced CrossOver 16.2 as the newest release of their Wine-based software for running Windows programs on Linux and macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hope no one use it, it's stupid bloatware

Comment

Originally posted by bvbfan View Post
      Right ... Do you know that CodeWeawers employs the most active Wine developers? If nobody will pay for CrossOver, CodeWeawers will not be able to pay for those developers and Wine development will be in much worse situation.

Comment

Two reasons I hope people do:

1. CrossOver's patches to Wine itself are fed back into mainline Wine without delay, so people paying for it are partly funding improvements to Wine.
        2. Their testing and support contracts provide a degree of trust that makes companies willing to use Wine... and companies tend to have more money to spend than individuals.

Comment

I assume you mean Outlook 2013, right?

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
            I assume you mean Outlook 2013, right?
            I can confirm that Outlook is stupid bloatware.

Comment

Well, troll, I swear by CrossOver for myself and for my clients. It has install scripts that "just work" for lots of lots of popular Windows software, making sure to install all the extra requirements and set up WINE with the most compatible configuration for the software. Of course you can do everything in WINE on your own, but having it just work is wonderful.

Bottle management is also nice and very useful, as it automatically makes sure each app is separated from the others, and makes it very easy to export/import bottles between machines. Of course you can do this with WINE prefixes, but the UI makes things much easier.

PlaysOnLinux is a nice alternative to CrossOver that does many of these things, too. However I generally found it less reliable than CrossOver. With CrossOver, too, as a paying customer I can open a bug and know it will be addressed. The PlaysOnLinux volunteers may or may not have time for it. I run a business and can't rely on volunteers.

For what you get, CrossOver is incredibly cheap. I'm very happy to buy it and recommend it strongly to my business partners. The extra bonus is knowing that some of that money goes straight into WINE development.

Comment

I generally use the web version of Outlook at work. Both on Linux and Windows. It is much faster and less resource consuming and the user interface is easier to use.
                The only thing i need now is a Wine version that can run Skype for business. It's basically the only reason why i have a Virtual windows machine running now.

Comment

The latest version of of Microsoft Outlook is 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
                    I generally use the web version of Outlook at work. Both on Linux and Windows. It is much faster and less resource consuming and the user interface is easier to use.
                    The only thing i need now is a Wine version that can run Skype for business. It's basically the only reason why i have a Virtual windows machine running now.
                    You will be glad to know about the SIPE project. It provides Skype for business support in Pidgin and other libpurple based IMs.

Comment

Working...
                    X